From: Alex Mizrahi
Subject: debugger
Hello, All!

we're trying to do some web project with cmucl, already made server doing
some basic pages, but not yet found handy development environment..

i've tried xemacs/ilisp, but since i run it on win32 while server is on
linux, it breaks on attempt to load some packages. maybe it can be tuned to
load correct paths, but anyway i don't like ilisp - even localy it
occasionally breaks down..
so i do it now in xemacs shell, but it's definitely not a handy way to do..

it's desired to be able for several people to debug simultaneously -
otherwise we'll have to wait for each other to debug or will have to run
several servers..

so i thought it's a good idea to write plugin for some win32 editor(FAR
Manager's one, for example) that will send lisp forms and get responce. it's
quite easy to do it in a simple way, but i'd also want an interactive
debugger..
so, is it hard to hack into cmucl debugger, so instead of printing something
to console it will just tell me error description, restart option and other
stuff, and accept commands that came through net?(another option is to parse
debuggers output, but i don't think it's reliable enough) i believe that
anything is possible since cmucl is open source, but how much
efforts(measured in sources kb, for example) are required to do it?
and is multithread debugging possible at all? so far cmucl showed be me the
only option 'destroy process' when error happened in thread..

With best regards, Alex Mizrahi.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: debugger
"Alex Mizrahi" <·········@xhotmail.com> writes:

> Hello, All!
>
> we're trying to do some web project with cmucl, already made server doing
> some basic pages, but not yet found handy development environment..

Have you tried Hemlock?  If you put an X11 server on your win32 box,
it should be perfectly workable.  Read through the Hemlock manual, and
get yourself a super-productive toolkit like Garnet, and you can
easily add your own extensions to the environment.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and reimplement my extended
environment (I didn't keep track of IP issues), and release it.  But I
can say that it was the second-nicest[*] development environment I've
used -- anything that's not there is usually easy enough to add.

> so, is it hard to hack into cmucl debugger, so instead of printing something
> to console it will just tell me error description, restart option and other
> stuff, and accept commands that came through net?

Lucky you, it just got easier, thanks to a recent refactoring.

I'll leave it to SLIMEier types who know better, to describe the
refactoring.

[*] 1st place is MCL, which ships in a more complete form, and is
easily extensible with their lovely interpretation of the Mac toolkit.
On the other hand, I didn't do too much development-tool work with it,
so it's possible that in that case, Garnet's constraints-system would
push it into winning position.  Cue Mr. Tilton...

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |