From: Peter Seibel
Subject: What are your favorite portable (or mostly portable) libraries
I'm trying to come up with a list of a handful of high-quality,
generally-useful libraries to point people to to demonstrate that
there are, well, high-quality, generally-useful libraries available
for Common Lisp. I'm particulary interested in libraries that are
portable between many or all Common Lisp impls.

For example I've been quite impressed with cl-ppcre. And I assume
cl-pdf is the bees knees since Marc has wrought the magic of
cl-typesetting on top of it.

What are your favorites?

-Peter

P.S. Yes, I'm going to point folks to Cliki and perhaps the new
common-lisp.net site but I also wanted to be able to brag a bit on the
cream of the crop.

From: Lars Brinkhoff
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:
> I'm trying to come up with a list of a handful of high-quality,
> generally-useful libraries to point people to to demonstrate that
> there are, well, high-quality, generally-useful libraries available
> for Common Lisp. I'm particulary interested in libraries that are
> portable between many or all Common Lisp impls.

Debian has a good number of CL libs, and I believe most of them works
on all or most CL implementations in Debian.

Try "apt-cache search cl- | grep ^cl" on a Debian machine.  Here's
what I get:

cl-acl-compat - Compatibility layer for Allegro Common Lisp
cl-aima - Source code for Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach
cl-ansi-tests - Conformance tests for ANSI Common Lisp
cl-asdf - Another System Definition Facility
cl-aserve - Portable Aserve
cl-awk - Common Lisp package with the features of AWK and more.
cl-base64 - Common Lisp package to encode and decode base64 with URI support
cl-binary-types - Common Lisp package for reading and writing binary files
cl-blowfish - Common Lisp Blowfish encryption
cl-cclan - Comprehensive Common Lisp Archive Network
cl-cil - Chess In Lisp. A library for cmucl.
cl-csv - Common Lisp utility to import CSV text files
cl-defsystem3 - Make system for Common Lisp Packages
cl-environment - Object-Oriented Environment Encapsulation for Common Lisp Programs
cl-f2cl - Common Lisp package to convert Fortran 77 source code to Common Lisp
cl-ftp - Common Lisp FTP library
cl-gd - GD Interface Library for Common Lisp
cl-grt - Common Lisp GRT Raytrace
cl-html-template - Common Lisp HTML Template processor
cl-htmlgen - HTML generation library for Common Lisp programs
cl-hyperobject - Common Lisp library for hyperobjects
cl-imho - Common Lisp web development framework
cl-inflate - Common Lisp package to decompress a gzip, jar, and winzip file
cl-integrate - Common Lisp library for integrating differential equations
cl-jpeg - A JPEG library for Common Lisp
cl-kmrcl - General Utilities for Common Lisp Programs
cl-lexer - Lexical-analyzer-generator package for Common Lisp
cl-lml - Lisp Markup Language
cl-lml2 - Lisp Markup Language
cl-local-time - Common Lisp package providing date and time manipulation
cl-local-time-db - Common Lisp package for reading and storing dates in a database
cl-md5 - Common Lisp package for MD5 Message Digests
cl-memoization - A extension library that adds memoization support to CMU-CL
cl-meta - The META-library for Common Lisp
cl-metadata - Simple metadata system built atop UncommonSQL
cl-metering - A portable metering and profiling utility for Common Lisp
cl-modlisp - Common Lisp interface to the Apache mod-lisp module
cl-net-telent-date - Common Lisp utilities for printing and parsing dates
cl-odcl - Common Lisp utilities from onShore Development
cl-paip - Source code for Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming
cl-parse-number - Provides functions to parse any Common Lisp number string
cl-pdf - Common Lisp package to create PDF files
cl-pg - Common Lisp library that provides a socket level postgresql interface
cl-pipes - Common Lisp library for pipes or streams
cl-png - Common Lisp package to read and write PNG image files
cl-port - Common Lisp Object Collections Port Package
cl-postoffice - SMTP, POP, & IMAP interface library for Common Lisp Programs
cl-ppcre - Portable Regular Express Library for Common Lisp
cl-ptester - Test suite for Common Lisp programs
cl-pubmed - Common Lisp package to query Pubmed medical literature database
cl-puri - Common Lisp Portable URI Library
cl-quick-arrays - A library offering less flexible, but faster arrays
cl-readline - Common Lisp interface to the GNU readline library
cl-regex - Common Lisp regular expression compiler/matcher
cl-reversi - Reversi game for Common Lisp
cl-rsm-memo - McIntire's Common Lisp Memoization Library
cl-rsm-mod - McIntire's Common Lisp Modular Arithmetic Library
cl-rsm-queue - Common Lisp Queue Library
cl-rsm-random - McIntire's Common Lisp Random Number Library
cl-rsm-rsa - McIntire's Common Lisp RSA Library
cl-rsm-string - McIntire's Common Lisp String Library
cl-rt - Common Lisp regression tester from MIT
cl-screamer - Common Lisp package for non-determinate programming
cl-scribble - Scribe-like reader for Common Lisp
cl-sdl - Common Lisp bindings to the SDL graphics library
cl-sdl-demos - CL-SDL and OpenGL example programs
cl-sdl-img - Support for the SDL_image library in Common Lisp
cl-sdl-mix - Support for the SDL_mixer library in Common Lisp
cl-sdl-opengl - Support for OpenGL in Common Lisp, via CL-SDL
cl-sdl-ttf - Support for the SDL_ttf library in Common Lisp
cl-series - A Common Lisp extension for general iterations
cl-split-sequence - Common Lisp package split a sequence of objects
cl-sql - SQL Interface for Common Lisp
cl-sql-aodbc - CLSQL database backend, AODBC
cl-sql-base - SQL Interface for Common Lisp
cl-sql-mysql - CLSQL database backend, MySQL
cl-sql-postgresql - CLSQL database backend, PostgreSQL
cl-sql-postgresql-socket - CLSQL database backend, PostgreSQL
cl-sql-tests - Testing suite for CLSQL
cl-sql-uffi - Common UFFI functions for CLSQL database backends
cl-ssl - Common Lisp interface to OpenSSL package
cl-statistics - Common Lisp Statistics Package
cl-tclink - Common Lisp bindings to the TrustCommerce transaction system
cl-uffi - Universal Foreign Function Library for Common Lisp
cl-uffi-tests - Regression tests for UFFI Common Lisp Library
cl-uncommonsql - Common Lisp database access kit
cl-uncommonsql-mysql - UncommonSQL database backend, MySQL
cl-uncommonsql-postgresql - UncommonSQL database backend, PostgreSQL
cl-unit - A regression suite library for Common Lisp
cl-units - a Common Lisp package providing units conversions
cl-who - Common Lisp HTML generator
cl-xlunit - Common Lisp eXtreme Lisp Unit Testing Package
cl-xmls - XML Simple Parser for Common Lisp
cl-xptest - Extreme programming test suite for Common Lisp package
cl-geodesics - Geodesic equations in Common Lisp
cl-umlisp - Common Lisp interface for the Unified Medical Language System
cl-uncommonsql-oracle - UncommonSQL database backend, Oracle
cl-faq - This package contains Common Lisp-related FAQs
cl-infix - an infix reader macro for Common Lisp
cl-db-sockets - Common Lisp sockets library

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/
From: Ralph Richard Cook
I too like cl-ppcre. I'm using it to make Common Lisp versions of
programs in "Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics".

I use it so much I made a CLisp image with that preloaded, and use
that the default image I load up. I guess I made one of those
bottom-up languages built on top of Lisp. I call it Perlisp when no
one is looking.

From: Kenny Tilton
Ralph Richard Cook wrote:
> I too like cl-ppcre. I'm using it to make Common Lisp versions of
> programs in "Beginning Perl for Bioinformatics".
>
> I use it so much I made a CLisp image with that preloaded, and use
> that the default image I load up. I guess I made one of those
> bottom-up languages built on top of Lisp. I call it Perlisp when no
> one is looking.

Oh, it's old news for Lisp to do something out of the box that otherwise
requires a whole new language. So you can just call it, well, Lisp.

:)

Kenny