From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Lispers' sites at dyndns.org: access problems
Some well known Lispers, such as Rainer Joswig and Gilbert Baumann,
have web sites available via dyndns.org. I often have access problems
to those sites, from both my home and work accounts. Is anybody else
having similar problems?

Paolo

From: Arthur Lemmens
Subject: Re: Lispers' sites at dyndns.org: access problems
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> wrote:

> Some well known Lispers, such as Rainer Joswig and Gilbert Baumann,
> have web sites available via dyndns.org. I often have access problems
> to those sites, from both my home and work accounts. Is anybody else
> having similar problems?

Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Sometimes I can connect,
sometimes I can't. I have no idea why.

Arthur Lemmens
From: james anderson
?

i had thought that the nature of a dyndns-supported dns entry was that it
exists only so long as the respective target is connected. in my case, when my
adsl link was down, the dns entry was invalid. i could see that in the sense
that, when i reconnected, but before i informed dyndns that i was back, the
dns entry pointed to the last address. which may well have become valid again,
but certainly not with the intended target. come to think of it, i'm surprised
that the german telecon authorities haven't hit on another potential
datenschutzverletzung here.

which would mean they're just not using the internet at the moment.

From: Michael Livshin
Arthur Lemmens <········@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> wrote:
>
>> Some well known Lispers, such as Rainer Joswig and Gilbert Baumann,
>> have web sites available via dyndns.org. I often have access problems
>> to those sites, from both my home and work accounts. Is anybody else
>> having similar problems?
>
> Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Sometimes I can connect,
> sometimes I can't. I have no idea why.

Mozilla's aggressive DNS lookup caching is one possible explanation.

--
Politics is non-euclidean.                           -- Robert Anton Wilson
From: David Magda
Arthur Lemmens <········@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Yes, I've noticed the same thing. Sometimes I can connect,
> sometimes I can't. I have no idea why.

I believe it's an issue with DNS. If I try to connect to my home
system I can't with an error about "cannot get the address". I've
tried using dig(1) against DynDNS' primary DNS server (66.151.188.43)
and it hangs. If I go to the second one (209.69.32.137) it resolves
fine.

Here's a list of their servers:

ns1.dyndns.org.         1D IN A         66.151.188.43
ns2.dyndns.org.         1D IN A         209.69.32.137
ns3.dyndns.org.         1D IN A         63.209.15.210
ns4.dyndns.org.         1D IN A         212.100.224.171
ns5.dyndns.org.         1D IN A         66.151.188.44

I saved it a while ago, but I believe it's still valid.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/