From: Don Saklad
Subject: How to put together a home desktop computer for email and access to all the enhancements of varied web sites.
a. You're putting together a home desktop computer with GNU/Linux
   for email and for access to all the features and enhancements,
   emphasis on all features and all enhancements, of varied web sites,
   what motherboard would you look to for this device?...

b. What other basic home desktop computer hardware for GNU/Linux
   would you want included for this machine?...

In asking around even the best people either reply with jargon that the
enthusiastic neophytes wouldn't get or respond obliquely that answers
could be presumptive of the general lack of acknowledgement of problems
that consumers have with, for example, the Dell or the iMac computers.

Some references tried
http://www.pcsforeveryone.com
http://www.vcr1.com/263195.html

From: Dr. Anton Squeegee
In article <···············@nestle.ai.mit.edu>,
·······@nestle.ai.mit.edu says...

> a. You're putting together a home desktop computer with GNU/Linux
>    for email and for access to all the features and enhancements,
>    emphasis on all features and all enhancements, of varied web sites,
>    what motherboard would you look to for this device?...

	My personal preference is Tyan. They build for stability as
opposed to what the gamers think is important.

	I will add that such questions have been known to start holy wars
of the same caliber as those invoking vi vs. EMACS. ;-)

> b. What other basic home desktop computer hardware for GNU/Linux
>    would you want included for this machine?...

	That question is far too general to answer accurately.

> In asking around even the best people either reply with jargon that the
> enthusiastic neophytes wouldn't get or respond obliquely that answers
> could be presumptive of the general lack of acknowledgement of problems
> that consumers have with, for example, the Dell or the iMac computers.

	Again, this is a symptom of the fact that you're asking questions
which are not easily answered without a lot more detail about your
requirements. The more you learn about computer hardware, the better
equipped you'll be to make an informed choice. tomshardwareguide.com has
product reviews and (generally) good advice.

	I would also point out that you're asking your questions in the
wrong newsgroups. They're not on topic or appropriate for either
comp.dcom.telecom.tech or comp.lang.lisp.

	I would suggest that you have a look at the comp.sys.ibm.pc.*
groups. You're likely to find several dealing with hardware questions.

	Happy hunting.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)
From: Ian
"Don Saklad" <·······@nestle.ai.mit.edu> wrote in message
····················@nestle.ai.mit.edu...
> a. You're putting together a home desktop computer with GNU/Linux
>    for email and for access to all the features and enhancements,
>    emphasis on all features and all enhancements, of varied web sites,
>    what motherboard would you look to for this device?...
>

> b. What other basic home desktop computer hardware for GNU/Linux
>    would you want included for this machine?...
>

> In asking around even the best people either reply with jargon that the
> enthusiastic neophytes wouldn't get or respond obliquely that answers
> could be presumptive of the general lack of acknowledgement of problems
> that consumers have with, for example, the Dell or the iMac computers.
>

> Some references tried
> http://www.pcsforeveryone.com
> http://www.vcr1.com/263195.html

And you ask this in a telecoms newsgroup, wouldnt a PC group or a linux
group be a better place, Or do you go to the hardware store to get auto
advice and the cardealer to by a fridge?
From: Justin Time
"Ian" <······@bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message news:<···············@ID-211577.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> "Don Saklad" <·······@nestle.ai.mit.edu> wrote in message
> ····················@nestle.ai.mit.edu...
> > a. You're putting together a home desktop computer with GNU/Linux
> >    for email and for access to all the features and enhancements,
> >    emphasis on all features and all enhancements, of varied web sites,
> >    what motherboard would you look to for this device?...
> >

> > b. What other basic home desktop computer hardware for GNU/Linux
> >    would you want included for this machine?...
> >

> > In asking around even the best people either reply with jargon that the
> > enthusiastic neophytes wouldn't get or respond obliquely that answers
> > could be presumptive of the general lack of acknowledgement of problems
> > that consumers have with, for example, the Dell or the iMac computers.
> >

> > Some references tried
> > http://www.pcsforeveryone.com
> > http://www.vcr1.com/263195.html
> >

> And you ask this in a telecoms newsgroup, wouldnt a PC group or a linux
> group be a better place, Or do you go to the hardware store to get auto
> advice and the cardealer to by a fridge?

You need to forgive him.  He goes to MIT.
From: Christopher C. Stacy

 Justin> "Ian" <······@bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message news:<···············@ID-211577.news.uni-berlin.de>...
 >> "Don Saklad" <·······@nestle.ai.mit.edu> wrote in message
 >> ····················@nestle.ai.mit.edu...
 >> > a. You're putting together a home desktop computer with GNU/Linux
 >> >    for email and for access to all the features and enhancements,
 >> >    emphasis on all features and all enhancements, of varied web sites,
 >> >    what motherboard would you look to for this device?...
 >> >

 >> > b. What other basic home desktop computer hardware for GNU/Linux
 >> >    would you want included for this machine?...
 >> >

 >> > In asking around even the best people either reply with jargon that the
 >> > enthusiastic neophytes wouldn't get or respond obliquely that answers
 >> > could be presumptive of the general lack of acknowledgement of problems
 >> > that consumers have with, for example, the Dell or the iMac computers.
 >> >

 >> > Some references tried
 >> > http://www.pcsforeveryone.com
 >> > http://www.vcr1.com/263195.html
 >> >

 >> And you ask this in a telecoms newsgroup, wouldnt a PC group or a linux
 >> group be a better place, Or do you go to the hardware store to get auto
 >> advice and the cardealer to by a fridge?

 Justin> You need to forgive him.  He goes to MIT.

I don't think he's ever been affilliated with MIT.
From: Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dark Remover
In article <···············@nestle.ai.mit.edu>,
·······@nestle.ai.mit.edu mentioned...

[snip]

Why don't you take your OFF TOPIC post to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.
whatever newsgroup!  Sheesh!

--
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
From: John R. Levine
Don Saklad  <·······@nestle.ai.mit.edu> wrote:
>a. You're putting together a home desktop computer with GNU/Linux ...

Don has earned fame in the Boston area for his, uh, unique style of
inquiry.  Count yourself fortunate that he's asking neither about the
toppings at a particular pizzeria in Cambridge nor about the
governance of the Boston Public Library.