From: Peter Seibel
Subject: History of Lisp for numeric programming?
So I have this theory that is mostly just based on reading between the
lines, that Common Lisp has particularly rich support for numeric
computation (e.g. rich numeric tower, multidimensional arrays,
well-defined branch cuts for complex functions) because of its
contemporaneous development with FORTRAN. I.e. because at various
times Lisp dialects were "competing" with FORTRAN for mindshare, they
had to take it on on its own turf and add the appropriate facilities.
These facilities were then kept on in Common Lisp.

Does anyone think that theory holds any water. (Also I'm curious about
the influence of APL--I notice that the branch cuts for functions in
Common Lisp were based on APL's. Any pointers to where I can read more
about that aspect of Common Lisp's design.)

-Peter