From: Petter Gustad
Subject: CMUCL X86 binaries for Slackware 7.2.0?
I downloaded 18e[1], but it only results in a segementation fault (no
other error messages) when I try to run it on my Slackware 7.2.0
system with the 2.2.19 kernel.

   : filestore tmp; file /usr/local/bin/lisp
   /usr/local/bin/lisp: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
   : filestore tmp; ldd /usr/local/bin/lisp
           libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x2aac7000)
           libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x2aaca000)
           libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x2aae8000)
           /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x2aaab000)
   : filestore tmp; /usr/local/bin/lisp

   The last thing I see when I run strace is

   : filestore tmp; strace /usr/local/bin/lisp
   old_mmap(0x28000000, 268431360, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_ANONYMOUS|MAP_NORESERVE, -1, 0) = 0x28000000
   --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
   +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

Is this a known problem? Are there any other binary CMUCL
distributions out there which will run on Slackware 7.2.0? Where can I
find the most up to date build procedure for CMUCL?

Petter

[1]
ftp://cmucl.cons.org/pub/lisp/cmucl/binaries/cmucl-18e-pre1-x86-linux.tar.bz2
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Eric Marsden
Subject: Re: CMUCL X86 binaries for Slackware 7.2.0?

  pg> I downloaded 18e[1], but it only results in a segementation fault (no
  pg> other error messages) when I try to run it on my Slackware 7.2.0
  pg> system with the 2.2.19 kernel.

  pg> ftp://cmucl.cons.org/pub/lisp/cmucl/binaries/cmucl-18e-pre1-x86-linux.tar.bz2

you didn't download CMUCL 18e; you downloaded one of the pretest
binaries. The release binaries are in a directory named release/18e
on the download sites.

  pg> Is this a known problem? Are there any other binary CMUCL
  pg> distributions out there which will run on Slackware 7.2.0?

two situations that I know of that have led to this behaviour are:

   - certain configurations of HIGHMEM support in the kernel change
     the memory map available to applications in a way that interferes
     with the (somewhat static) assumptions made by CMUCL.

   - some security-related mechanisms such as the grsecurity kernel
     patches (their all-the-world-is-C assumption doesn't hold for
     CMUCL) or libsafe, whose system call interposition mechanism
     seems to mess up CMUCL's FFI.

I suggest you try with a "vanilla" kernel to see whether that resolves
your problem. If you can't change your kernel, you will need to
rebuild CMUCL with a changed memory map, which requires a
cross-compile.

  pg> Where can I find the most up to date build procedure for CMUCL?

the build scripts are now distributed with the CMUCL sources, in the
src/tools directory. There is a README to get you started. Note that
building CMUCL isn't a trivial exercise.

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>