From: ·········@lxny.org
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 11 November 2003 Lisp NYC: Carl Shapiro will boot and run his Lisp Machine, Bob Coyne will show the Symbolics 3D animation system, and Howard Elmer will Lisp and make music
Tuesday 11 November 2003 Lisp NYC will meet at St. Sava's on the Island of
the Manahattoes.

This meeting is a large meeting and all students of music, of the history
of computing, and all artists who use a computer are especially invited.
As always, beginners in programming are urged to come and learn of the best
systems for programming computers.

Here is a paragraph from Heinrich Konrad Taube's Notes from the Metalevel,
a book on Common Music, a Lisp and Musical Instrument:

  It is impossible to know exactly how Prince Modupe felt when he discovered
  a process by which his very thoughts could be trapped and released at will
  again into speech. But I think his epiphany must be close to what I
  experienced when, as a young composer, I was first shown how I could use a
  computer to represent my musical ideas and then release them at will into
  musical compositions. At that time I was a masters student in composition
  at Stanford University. My teachers John Chowning and Leland Smith had just
  demonstrated to our introductory computer music class how a music language
  called SCORE (Smith) could capture musical ideas and, at the push of a
  button, trigger an almost magical process in which fantastically complex
  scores were computed and then realized by instruments unimpeded by the laws
  of physics. At that instant it became clear to me that there was an entire
  level of notation above the scores that I had been writing in my regular
  composition classes, a level I knew nothing about! But I could see that in
  this level it was possible to notate my compositional ideas in a precise
  manner and work with them in an almost physical way, as trapped words
  that could be unleashed into musical sound at the push of a button. Equally
  important was the realization that this new (to me) level was essentially
  devoid of any preconceived notions of musical correctness and so offered
  me an attractive alternative to the symbols and glyphs of Common Practice
  music, which I increasing felt were too tied to historical tradition. I
  too, shivered with a desire to do this wondrous thing myself and, as I
  look back on it now more than twenty years later, I realize that this
  moment was one in which my life's path was irrevocably altered.

The page from which this quote is taken:

http://pinhead.music.uiuc.edu/~hkt/nm/01/intro.html

For precise information about the meeting, see the official Lisp NYC notice below.

Jay Sulzberger <·········@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

  what="official Lisp NYC notice"
  edits="some headers suppressed, part of a Lisp NYC email appended, alt-Q pressed once, some newlines removed">

Subject: NYC LOCAL: 3D Lisp Machines, Music & More! 11 November 2003

3D Lisp Machines, Music & More!

Lisp NYC will be kicking off our new meeting space with a bang. The
upcoming meeting will include:

    * a real, live hardware-based LISP MACHINE and demo by the
retro-guru Carl Shapiro

    * Carl will demo the Symbolics 3D graphics animation system, which
was the first complete 2D/3D system created in part by our own Bob
Coyne.

    * Howard Elmer, music composer and Symbolic Composer user will
discuss music creation and Lisp

    * Lisp-art giveaways! (http://www.kurzweilcyberart.com/)

We will be in the meeting hall of the Serbian Orthodox Cathedral (16 West
26th St. between Broadway and 6th Ave., just SE of Penn Station) at 7:00 on
Tuesday, Nov 11th.

Directions:

  http://www.stsavanyc.org/english/e10/location.html

>From Manhattan:

The St. Sava Cathedral is located in Manhattan, spanning between West
25th and 26th Street, located between Broadway and Sixth Avenue. The
main Meeting Hall is on 26th Street near Broadway.

Subway: The nearest stop is the N&R at 28th St.  It's also not too far
from Penn Station (A C & E,  1 2 3) and Herald Square (B D F V)

Driving: As you come down Broadway, turn right onto 25th Street, and the
Cathedral is 100 yards on your right.

>From New Jersey:

Take the Lincoln Tunnel. Go to Broadway, turn right. Make a right onto
25th St.

>From Long Island:

Take the LIE to the Midtown Tunnel. Go to Lexington Avenue, turn left.
Make a right onto 27th Street. Make a left onto Broadway. Make a right
onto 25th Street.

>     * a real, live hardware-based LISP MACHINE and demo by the
> retro-guru Carl Shapiro

Carl will be demoing the Symbolics 3D graphics animation system:

http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/symbolics-info/s-products.html
http://lemonodor.com/archives/000256.html

This was "probably the first" complete 3D graphics system and was
created in part by our own Bob Coyne who will be available to sign
autographs.

- Heow