From: Jeff Kish
Subject: a horrid question?
Greetings.

I am just getting into java/frameworks/tag libraries, and I wanted to
know what folks thought the best way to do something was. Basically this is
just an attempt to figure out a good repetitive way of searching for
information that I could use and adapt to different quests for information.

I needed to find out where certain types of classes (derived from a certain
class) were used in other .java files that occurred that had special
characteristics, namely they are used by the frameworks I am using as special
handlers.

This is really an onerous task, but I thought I could write something up in
lisp or something to solve this and reuse it for related problems, so my
thoughts were:

define some "JSPset" as being all filenames hard coded as first arguments to
calls to a library routine that means something to me (util.doSomething(...)).

This gives me a set of jsp files to look at.
Then define a "HANDLERset" being all tags in the JSPset of files that fit a
special criteria meaning that they are of interest. This means the
java classes would be identified by a tag that looks like this:
<specialTag:HANDLER classname=dir.dir2.dir3.classname/>

So now I could get all the classes that are used as handlers (which interest
me).

Now define NONPERSISTANTset as set of classes that implement a special set,
say MyNonPersistantSet

Finally I would want to search all of the HANDLERset to see if any of them use
any of the classes in the NONPERSISTANTset

I'm using eclipse. If anyone has any other suggestions also besides lisp
please feel free.

Sorry if I am not clear.. any ideas? Is this too gross or am I missing a
simple sort of thing here?

Thanks,
Jeff Kish

From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Re: a horrid question?
Jeff Kish wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am just getting into java/frameworks/tag libraries, and I wanted to
> know what folks thought the best way to do something was. Basically this is
> just an attempt to figure out a good repetitive way of searching for
> information that I could use and adapt to different quests for information.

This isn't really Lisp related.

However, maybe you could take a look at http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=175

Or better yet switch to Lisp, because your example and that webpage
provide good examples of Greenspun's tenth rule of programming.

Pascal
From: Jeff Kish
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 00:46:25 +0100, Pascal Costanza <········@web.de> wrote:

>Jeff Kish wrote:
>
>> Greetings.
>>
>> I am just getting into java/frameworks/tag libraries, and I wanted to
>> know what folks thought the best way to do something was. Basically this is
>> just an attempt to figure out a good repetitive way of searching for
>> information that I could use and adapt to different quests for information.
>
>This isn't really Lisp related.
>
>However, maybe you could take a look at http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=175
>
>Or better yet switch to Lisp, because your example and that webpage
>provide good examples of Greenspun's tenth rule of programming.
>

>Pascal
Well.. I was sort of asking if Lisp might be a good way to approach this
effort to find out information related to this
development environment. Bascially I am looking for a way to
do intelligent queries that can vary a bit. The problem is that
I'd probably (though not 100% sure) have to be able to parse the files or
query the ide to get information. Maybe I could develop a lisp plug-in.

So I was trying to find out if maybe Lisp might fit in and look for some
suggestions.

Thanks,
Jeff Kish