From: KanZen
Subject: Annoying popup window in ilisp/xemacs
Okay, so I've finally got xemacs, ilisp and cmucl working together. It
all seems fine, except that every now and then a window called "ILISP
Arglist Output" pops up. For example, the first time that I try to
type "(defun ", that is, typing the space makes it pop up.

Obviously this is some kind of "helpful" feature window, but is seems
very annoying. Can I disable it somehow? It doesn't seem to be saying
anything useful.

From: Petter Gustad
Subject: Re: Annoying popup window in ilisp/xemacs
······@mail.com (KanZen) writes:

> Okay, so I've finally got xemacs, ilisp and cmucl working together. It
> all seems fine, except that every now and then a window called "ILISP
> Arglist Output" pops up. For example, the first time that I try to
> type "(defun ", that is, typing the space makes it pop up.
>
> Obviously this is some kind of "helpful" feature window, but is seems
> very annoying. Can I disable it somehow? It doesn't seem to be saying
> anything useful.

I prefer to redirect it to the minibuffer window using (in my .emacs):

(setq lisp-no-popper t)

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: KanZen
Petter Gustad <·············@gustad.com> wrote in message news:<··············@scimul.dolphinics.no>...
> ······@mail.com (KanZen) writes:
>
> > Okay, so I've finally got xemacs, ilisp and cmucl working together. It
> > all seems fine, except that every now and then a window called "ILISP
> > Arglist Output" pops up. For example, the first time that I try to
> > type "(defun ", that is, typing the space makes it pop up.
> >
> > Obviously this is some kind of "helpful" feature window, but is seems
> > very annoying. Can I disable it somehow? It doesn't seem to be saying
> > anything useful.
>
> I prefer to redirect it to the minibuffer window using (in my .emacs):
>
> (setq lisp-no-popper t)
>
> Petter

Thanks, that seems to work. Mind you, I'm still confused as to why it's
trying to tell me that defun is undefined.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
······@mail.com (KanZen) writes:

> Okay, so I've finally got xemacs, ilisp and cmucl working together. It
> all seems fine, except that every now and then a window called "ILISP
> Arglist Output" pops up. For example, the first time that I try to
> type "(defun ", that is, typing the space makes it pop up.
>
> Obviously this is some kind of "helpful" feature window, but is seems
> very annoying. Can I disable it somehow? It doesn't seem to be saying
> anything useful.

It tells you the arglist to the function whose name you just typed,
which can be really helpful with, say, MAKE-PATHNAME.  However,
ILISP's default presentation (constantly popping up and destroying a
million windows) sucks.  You might be interested in my hack to make
this nicer: <http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~tfb/no-carrier/ilisp/>.
It's a compromise, ILISP pops up exactly one window, and displays any
output longer than 1 line there, whether it's arglist information, the
result of evaluating something, whatever.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Frederic Brunel
······@mail.com (KanZen) writes:

> Obviously this is some kind of "helpful" feature window, but is seems
> very annoying. Can I disable it somehow? It doesn't seem to be saying
> anything useful.

I think it should help:

(setq ilisp-display-output-function #'ilisp-display-output-in-echo-area)

in your .emacs

--
Frederic Brunel