From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: So Happy To-ge-therrrrrrrrrr: Music and Lisp
The <groan> MuSIG of lisp-nyc held its second meeting on Tuesday, and it
was pretty amazing.

We were joined for the first time by Drew Krause, heavyweight CM/CSound
user:

  http://www.wordecho.com/DrewKrause.html

our second honest-to-god musician/performer along with Howard Elmer who
has had fun with Symbolic Composer and other cool music software (more
below):

  http://www.assemblage.org/

The rest of the group consisted of moi, Nick Maj who kinda got the whole
thing rolling, Bob Coyne who fills the sweet spot of knowing both Lisp
and Music (unlike moi), and young Ben, Howard's son.

I started slow just showing off my success in getting Common Music (CM)
to work with MIDI, CSound, and CLM (Common Lisp Music) backends. I
presented my covers of Jeopardy, a jingle on piano for two hands, and
two original works, one 15-second Tibetan Bowl meditation and the other
a four-second sekere rhythm. Everyone was terribly embarrassed for me.

Then Drew stepped in with (I think) Snd, a graphical tool for playing
with wave forms. Next Howard regaled us with an app that had the others'
mouths hanging open, the Random Music Machine:
http://www.robotsoftware.co.uk/

Nick was especially amazed because he has pretty exhaustively canvassed
the music software scene and this one had eluded him. It seems Howard
had work closely with the author for quite a while supplying RFEs.

We closed with Nick trotting out a photcopy of some pages from a hefty
tome detailing the Schillinger System of Musical Composition, which
looks like it will lend itself nicely to algorithmic music. Big emphasis
on rhythm, which apparently is a relatively underleveraged source of
Good Stuff in music composition.

Oh, somewhere in there I showed Bob Coyne and the others a couple of
Cello apps, one a goofy show-off-every widget, the other a graphical
object inspector. This came up because the lads started discussing
graphical interfaces to music composition software, with Nick especially
interested in seeing some supervisory tool developed which could pull
together different music/sound projects currently being developed in
isolation from each other and eventually orphaned. So a project may be
a-borning.

I took the Schillinger text and have implemented the first exercise in
Chapter Two, which shows how two different rhythms can be made to work
together to produce a resultant other rhythm. Well, I thought I did, but
I better look again. It was late and I think I cocked it up. But it
certainly lends itself to my new buddy, the loop macro.

Four hours, altogether, and I think everyone took something new away
from the session.

A note to lispnik social clubs everywhere: this all arose from my
Lisp-With-Kenny offer, and someone from a local Linux group responding.
This in turn resulted from a Linux God (Jay Sulzberger) blessing
lisp-nyc with advocacy back in the Land of the Free.

A note to non-NYers: at least one virtual member will be following along
as best he can from the lisp-nyc mailing list. Others are welcome. If
things get too crowded, we'll move to a lisp-nyc SIG list or even just
start a common-lisp.net project.

kenny

--
http://tilton-technology.com

From: n++k
Subject: Re: So Happy To-ge-therrrrrrrrrr: Music and Lisp
You might be interested in:

http://www.music.columbia.edu/cmc/dorkbot/dorkbotnyc/

if you're in NY

From: Bob Coyne
Looks interesting. Thanks.

From: Immanuel Litzroth
> Then Drew stepped in with (I think) Snd, a graphical tool for playing
> with wave forms.
actually snd is not a necessarilly a graphical tool it can be run as a
repl, and it accepts scheme language to process audio files. If you
look at it carefully you might find it to be the emacs of sound
editors.
Immanuel