From: Dmitri Ivanov
Subject: [ANN] YstokSQL - Common Lisp ODBC interface
Hello,

This is the first release of YstokSQL, a Common Lisp library for interfacing
relational databases via ODBC. The implementation is much inspired by
Xanalys(R) CommonSQL, but provides only the functional SQL interface.

YstokSQL is distributed under a LLGPL style license.

    http://www.aha.ru/~divanov/projects.html

YstokSQL is based on the following open-source implementations:
- SQL/ODBC module by Paul Meurer,
- MaiSQL package by Pierre R. Mai,
- UncommonSQL by OnShore Development.

YstokSQL was tested on LispWorks 4.2 for Windows against MS Access,
Oracle 8.1.7, and MS SQL Server ODBC drivers.
Compatibility with Allegro CL, CMUCL, Corman Lisp, and MCL is targetable.

Major features:
- ODBC 3.0 support.
- Prepared execution support.
- Catalog functions.
- Prefetching more than one row, i.e. rowset size > 1.
- SQLSetPos and SQLBulkOperations.
- ODBC Installer support.

Bug reports and suggestions are welcome.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitri Ivanov

From: Matthew Danish
Subject: Re: [ANN] YstokSQL - Common Lisp ODBC interface
On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 09:09:30PM +0400, Dmitri Ivanov wrote:
> This is the first release of YstokSQL, a Common Lisp library for interfacing
> relational databases via ODBC. The implementation is much inspired by
> Xanalys(R) CommonSQL, but provides only the functional SQL interface.

I'm curious to know why you chose to make a separate package instead of
working on ODBC support for UncommonSQL, since USQL also implements the
functional SQL interface of CommonSQL.

> Bug reports and suggestions are welcome.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Dmitri Ivanov
Hello Matthew,
"Matthew Danish" <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

MD> | ...snip...|
MD> I'm curious to know why you chose to make a separate package
MD> instead of working on ODBC support for UncommonSQL, since USQL also
MD> implements the functional SQL interface of CommonSQL.

The implementation of UncommonSQL is based on CMUCL and PostreSQL, which is
not my case, and emphasizes the object-oriented interface and elaborated
transaction handling, which does not match my needs :-(

Moreover, my impression is that UncommonSQL guys are a little bit tough to
collaborate with :-)
--
Sincerely,
Dmitri Ivanov