From: Andreas Holz
Subject: c-http 70.157 or 70.159 devo
Hello,

I just downloaded cl-http 70.157 and 70.159 devo. Looking at the files
on a Sun I found the files somehow mangled. There seems to be some
control characters at the end of a line (instead of DOS CrLf or Unix
Lf), which can't be interpreted successfully (on Solaris). Running
dos2unix has no effect. Has someone an idea what to do?

70.23 is ok.

Andreas

From: Carl Shapiro
Subject: Re: c-http 70.157 or 70.159 devo
······@topinform.com (Andreas Holz) writes:

> I just downloaded cl-http 70.157 and 70.159 devo. Looking at the files
> on a Sun I found the files somehow mangled. There seems to be some
> control characters at the end of a line (instead of DOS CrLf or Unix
> Lf), which can't be interpreted successfully (on Solaris). Running
> dos2unix has no effect. Has someone an idea what to do?

The sources for CL-HTTP 70.159 were saved out using Macintosh-style
line breaks.  In order to comfortably manipulate CL-HTTP source code
on a UNIX machine I hacked the familiar dos2unix package creating a
mac2unix program which, when driven by the UNIX find(1) command,
sanitized my entire source tree.  Contact me privately by e-mail if
you would like the utility I made.
From: Andreas Holz
Carl Shapiro <·············@panix.com> wrote in message news:<···············@panix3.panix.com>...
> ······@topinform.com (Andreas Holz) writes:
>
> > I just downloaded cl-http 70.157 and 70.159 devo. Looking at the files
> > on a Sun I found the files somehow mangled. There seems to be some
> > control characters at the end of a line (instead of DOS CrLf or Unix
> > Lf), which can't be interpreted successfully (on Solaris). Running
> > dos2unix has no effect. Has someone an idea what to do?
>
> The sources for CL-HTTP 70.159 were saved out using Macintosh-style
> line breaks.  In order to comfortably manipulate CL-HTTP source code
> on a UNIX machine I hacked the familiar dos2unix package creating a
> mac2unix program which, when driven by the UNIX find(1) command,
> sanitized my entire source tree.  Contact me privately by e-mail if
> you would like the utility I made.

Carl,

thank you for your posting. Using a hex-editor I found these
Macintosh-style line breaks also. Sometimes the web is good for
something: I found a script to convert Mac-style files to Unix-style
files also.

Andreas
From: Karl A. Krueger
Carl Shapiro <·············@panix.com> wrote:
> ······@topinform.com (Andreas Holz) writes:
>> I just downloaded cl-http 70.157 and 70.159 devo. Looking at the files
>> on a Sun I found the files somehow mangled. There seems to be some
>> control characters at the end of a line (instead of DOS CrLf or Unix
>> Lf), which can't be interpreted successfully (on Solaris). Running
>> dos2unix has no effect. Has someone an idea what to do?
>
> The sources for CL-HTTP 70.159 were saved out using Macintosh-style
> line breaks.  In order to comfortably manipulate CL-HTTP source code
> on a UNIX machine I hacked the familiar dos2unix package creating a
> mac2unix program which, when driven by the UNIX find(1) command,
> sanitized my entire source tree.  Contact me privately by e-mail if
> you would like the utility I made.

This program can recognize all three common line-endings and convert
amongst them.  It is in reasonably portable C++ (what an awkward thing
to say) and I have used it on source files successfully:

	http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~craig/utility/flip/

--
Karl A. Krueger <········@example.edu>
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution