From: David Steuber
Subject: Need help getting started with GNU Emacs/ILISP for CMUCL
I am running Debian (unstable branch) and am trying to get started
with Graham's ACL book.  If you just start up lisp and type (help),
CMUCL kindly tells you that you deserve to loose.

I just want to get into a top level inside emacs with ilisp so that I
can start learning as quickly as my feeble mind will allow.  I will
also want to be able to create .lisp text files along the way and save
my own lisp core images (or whatever) for learning.

What do I need in my .emacs file?  What else do I need?  I believe I
have all the necessary debs installed.

I am not totally helpless.  I didn't make my subject line 'HELP!'.
Please, please help me.  Graham's intro and Kent Pitman's articles (one
of his Parenthetically Speaking articles in particular) have me
convinced that I really want to learn Lisp.

I need to become one with the dev tools.

TIA

--
(describe 'describe)

From: Burton Samograd
David Steuber <·············@verizon.net> writes:

> I am running Debian (unstable branch) and am trying to get started
> with Graham's ACL book.  If you just start up lisp and type (help),
> CMUCL kindly tells you that you deserve to loose.

Check this site for pointers on running cmucl on linux with emacs and
ilisp:

http://ww.telent.net/lisp/howto.html

--
burton samograd
······@kruhft.dyndns.org
From: David Steuber
Burton Samograd <······@hotmail.com> writes:

> Check this site for pointers on running cmucl on linux with emacs and
> ilisp:
>
> http://ww.telent.net/lisp/howto.html

This looks very promising.  Thanks a bunch.

--
(describe 'describe)
From: Adam Warner
Hi Burton Samograd,

> David Steuber <·············@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> I am running Debian (unstable branch) and am trying to get started with
>> Graham's ACL book.  If you just start up lisp and type (help), CMUCL
>> kindly tells you that you deserve to loose.
>
> Check this site for pointers on running cmucl on linux with emacs and
> ilisp:
>
> http://ww.telent.net/lisp/howto.html

David said he is running Debian sid. Start Emacs. M-x cmulisp and he's
running CMUCL in Emacs using ILISP.

Regards,
Adam
From: Wesley Parish
Adam Warner wrote:

> Hi Burton Samograd,
>
>> David Steuber <·············@verizon.net> writes:
>>
>>> I am running Debian (unstable branch) and am trying to get started with
>>> Graham's ACL book.  If you just start up lisp and type (help), CMUCL
>>> kindly tells you that you deserve to loose.
>>
>> Check this site for pointers on running cmucl on linux with emacs and
>> ilisp:
>>
>> http://ww.telent.net/lisp/howto.html
>
> David said he is running Debian sid. Start Emacs. M-x cmulisp and he's
> running CMUCL in Emacs using ILISP.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

Now that is useful knowing.  I'm an emacs user, and have just started
fooling around with lisp, using indifferently CLISP and CMUCL - I like
CLISP's command line editing BTW - send flames to /dev/null - and I was
wondering how to make use of either in emacs ...

A big thank you!

Wesley Parish

--
First the wife, tone of awe.  So much a condition.  Kent in the labs, fast
forward.  "So how was the worthlessful businessman?"  But they hadn't
From: Zachary Beane
In article <·······················@news02.tsnz.net>, Wesley Parish wrote:
[snip]
> I'm an emacs user, and have just started fooling around with lisp,
> using indifferently CLISP and CMUCL - I like CLISP's command line
> editing BTW - send flames to /dev/null - and I was wondering how to
> make use of either in emacs ...

M-p and M-n navigate through history items in emacs. Many more
shortcuts are available; try "M-x describe-mode" when in the ILISP
buffer to see a summary.

Zach
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Zachary Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:

> M-p and M-n navigate through history items in emacs. Many more

Or C-UpArrow, C-DownArrow in the Common Lisp listener buffer.

  -- Nikodemus
From: David Steuber
Nikodemus Siivola <········@kekkonen.cs.hut.fi> writes:

> Zachary Beane <····@xach.com> wrote:
>
> > M-p and M-n navigate through history items in emacs. Many more
>
> Or C-UpArrow, C-DownArrow in the Common Lisp listener buffer.

I wonder if I should see if the 'describe kitchen-sink' command
works.

So, did I do harm by copying the ilisp.emacs file into my .emacs file?
Once I did that, M-x cmulisp did what I expected.

--
(describe 'describe)