From: Eric Smith
Subject: Something like Logo on Lisp
Some people trying to learn Lisp perceive it as tedious nonsense.  If
you tell them about bindings, recursion, lambda calculus, etc., their
reaction is "yuck, math", and their brain practically shuts down.

What might help rank beginners learn Lisp is an easier language built
on Lisp, such that they can learn and use that easier language, and
gradually get involved with Lisp in small steps.

An implementation of such a language needs to be highly motivating, in
the same sense that a computer game is highly motivating.  The user
needs lots of interaction and feedback.

There is no real reason why they should need any prior programming
experience at all.  Let them start with the best, but bring it down to
their level, so they can start at all.

Such an implementation could be a big deal.  Good marketing could turn
it into a blockbuster, and it could cause Lisp to become many times
more popular than it is now.

What specific features should it have to make it best for its purpose?

Note that I'm not talking about restricting the features as in
DrScheme.  I'm talking about building a whole new language on top of
Lisp which is easier for novices to learn and fun enough to keep them
motivated to learn.

Should it be like Logo or what?
From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: Something like Logo on Lisp
Eric Smith wrote:
> Some people trying to learn Lisp perceive it as tedious nonsense.  If
> you tell them about bindings, recursion, lambda calculus, etc., their
> reaction is "yuck, math", and their brain practically shuts down.

"There are no bad students, only bad teachers." Mr. Miyagi

I'm with you. Good pedagogy introduces complex stuff later. It also
provides concrete examples before abstract rules explaining them.

> What might help rank beginners learn Lisp is an easier language built
> on Lisp, ...

I just think you are describing a better-written book than the ones you
have read. Not that I have an opinion one way or another on the
topic-oredering in books available now.

I do not believe a language presents ideas in any order, a tutorial does.

> Should it be like Logo or what?

No, because the last time I looked Logo was "purer" ala Scheme, and to
do this right I believe you do want to use dotimes and dolist and other
stuff up front, save recursion for later (as you specified).

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc