From: Adam Warner
Subject: Screamer is now DFSG-free software
Hi all,

For those like myself who were not aware of the licensing change to
Screamer since it was archived in the CMU Repository[0] it is now DFSG
free software licensed under the GNU Lesser GPL with the Franz preamble:
http://clocc.sourceforge.net/clocc/src/screamer/README

   This software is Copyright (C) by Jeffrey Mark Siskind.
   It is hereby released unde[r] the GNU Lesser General Public License.
   See also <http://opensource.franz.com/preamble.html>.

Even Marc might consider this free software since the preamble clarifies
the circumstances that one can link to the library without a potential
derived work being covered by the LGPL:

   Since Lisp only offers one choice, which is to link the Library into an
   executable at build time, we declare that, for the purpose applying the
   LGPL to the Library, an executable that results from linking a "work
   that uses the Library" with the Library is considered a "work that uses
   the Library" and is therefore NOT covered by the LGPL.

Regards,
Adam

[0] http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/ai-repository/ai/lang/lisp/code/ext/screamer/0.html
The previous licence stated:

   You are free to use, copy and distribute this software provided that:
    1. You report *ALL* bugs to ············@AI.MIT.EDU whether or not you
       need them fixed. Include the version number (3.12) in the message.
    2. You report *ALL* bugs that you fixed to ············@AI.MIT.EDU.
       Include the version number (3.12) in the message.
    3. Every time you run Screamer on a machine or using a Lisp compiler not
       mentioned below, you send a message stating the new environment and the
       version number (3.12) to ············@AI.MIT.EDU.
    4. You inform us that you obtained a copy of Screamer by sending a message
       to ·····················@AI.MIT.EDU to be put on the

[While there are clear problems with mandatory information and bug
reporting the biggest issue is that this licence didn't even list
modification as a permitted activity. Note that I am yet to use Screamer
so I haven't been breaching this licence (in particular conditions 3 and
4). It looks to be an incredible piece of work and I'm looking forward to
learning about a different way of programming]

From: Marc Spitzer
Subject: Re: Screamer is now DFSG-free software
"Adam Warner" <······@consulting.net.nz> writes:

> Even Marc might consider this free software since the preamble clarifies

I am an icon, jr grade to be sure, oh my

marc
From: Paul F. Dietz
Marc Spitzer wrote:

> I am an icon, jr grade to be sure, oh my

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."
   -- John Kenneth Galbraith

	Paul
From: Marc Spitzer
"Paul F. Dietz" <·····@dls.net> writes:

> Marc Spitzer wrote:
>
> > I am an icon, jr grade to be sure, oh my
>
> "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."
>    -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Well I am glade to say that all else has not failed.  My errors are not
worthy of being called spectacular.

marc