From: Björn Lindberg
Subject: Hyperspec browsing in Emacs
I am using Emacs and Ilisp. I find it very convenient to be able to
look up relevant parts of the Hyperspec from Emacs. However, I would
ideally like to be able to browse it from Emacs instead of using an
external browser (like Mozilla). I tried using lynx within Emacs, but
I didn't like it. It steals some keybindings, and also pages one page
at a time, which I find inconvenient. It struck me that the best thing
would be to get the Hyperspec right into a read-only Emacs buffer. I
am curious wether something like that exists, or if anyone has had
success getting something similar to work?

Bj�rn

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Hyperspec browsing in Emacs
·······@nada.kth.se (Bj�rn Lindberg) writes:

> I am using Emacs and Ilisp. I find it very convenient to be able to
> look up relevant parts of the Hyperspec from Emacs. However, I would
> ideally like to be able to browse it from Emacs instead of using an
> external browser (like Mozilla). I tried using lynx within Emacs,
> but I didn't like it. It steals some keybindings, and also pages one
> page at a time, which I find inconvenient. It struck me that the
> best thing would be to get the Hyperspec right into a read-only
> Emacs buffer. I am curious wether something like that exists, or if
> anyone has had success getting something similar to work?

Have you tried w3m? (Note: This is not the same as w3.)

  <http://w3m.sourceforge.net/>

Edi.
From: Henrik Motakef
Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> writes:

> Have you tried w3m? (Note: This is not the same as w3.)
>
>   <http://w3m.sourceforge.net/>

There's also an Emacs mode for integrating w3m in a buffer, at
http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/
From: Björn Lindberg
Henrik Motakef <··············@web.de> writes:

> Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> writes:
>
> > Have you tried w3m? (Note: This is not the same as w3.)
> >
> >   <http://w3m.sourceforge.net/>
>
> There's also an Emacs mode for integrating w3m in a buffer, at
> http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. w3m with emacs-w3m
works very well. The only minor inconvenience so far is that it
insists on invoking w3m in the same window when doing C-z H for
hyperspec lookup. It would be better to get it in another frame or
window, so that both the code and the hyperspec entry are visible
simultaneously (this is probably fixable, I just don't know how).

Bj�rn
From: Daniel Jensen
·······@nada.kth.se (Bj�rn Lindberg) writes:

> Henrik Motakef <··············@web.de> writes:
>
>> There's also an Emacs mode for integrating w3m in a buffer, at
>> http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/
>
> Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. w3m with emacs-w3m
> works very well. The only minor inconvenience so far is that it
> insists on invoking w3m in the same window when doing C-z H for
> hyperspec lookup. It would be better to get it in another frame or
> window, so that both the code and the hyperspec entry are visible
> simultaneously (this is probably fixable, I just don't know how).

You can create your own `browse-url-browser-function':

(defun my-browse-url (url &rest args)
  "Calls `w3m-browse-url' with new-window argument set to t."
  (w3m-browse-url url t))

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'my-browse-url)

--
Daniel Jensen
From: Martin Rubey
·······@nada.kth.se (Bj�rn Lindberg) writes:

> I am using Emacs and Ilisp. I find it very convenient to be able to
> look up relevant parts of the Hyperspec from Emacs. However, I would
> ideally like to be able to browse it from Emacs instead of using an
> external browser (like Mozilla). I tried using lynx within Emacs, but
> I didn't like it. It steals some keybindings, and also pages one page
> at a time, which I find inconvenient. It struck me that the best thing
> would be to get the Hyperspec right into a read-only Emacs buffer. I
> am curious wether something like that exists, or if anyone has had
> success getting something similar to work?
>

> Bj�rn

a TexInfo version comes with GCL (most probably it's available without GCL,
too...) I like it *very* much!

Martin
From: Tim X

 Bj�rn> I am using Emacs and Ilisp. I find it very convenient to be
 Bj�rn> able to look up relevant parts of the Hyperspec from
 Bj�rn> Emacs. However, I would ideally like to be able to browse
 Bj�rn> it from Emacs instead of using an external browser (like
 Bj�rn> Mozilla). I tried using lynx within Emacs, but I didn't
 Bj�rn> like it. It steals some keybindings, and also pages one
 Bj�rn> page at a time, which I find inconvenient. It struck me
 Bj�rn> that the best thing would be to get the Hyperspec right
 Bj�rn> into a read-only Emacs buffer. I am curious wether
 Bj�rn> something like that exists, or if anyone has had success
 Bj�rn> getting something similar to work?

You can try installing either emacs w3 or w3m with the emacs interface
for w3m. I have used both. Emacs w3 can be a bit slow and it has a few
problems as a genral purpose browser, but it works fine for things
like basic text web pages. I've found w3m really good - its fast and
does a pretty good rendering and the interface from emacs works well.

Tim

--
Tim Cross