From: Peter Seibel
Subject: T manual
I found a PDF of a manual for the T dialect of Lisp at [1]. It is
dated October 28, 1988 and is labeled Fifth Edition, Pre-Beta Draft.

Does anyone know where this fits in the evolution of T--given that the
T project started (as I understand it) in '82 or earlier, I'm guessing
this document was published near the end of the project. Is that
right? Were there any other manuals published--such as a non pre-beta
version of this Fifth Edition?

-Peter

[1] <http://library.readscheme.org/papers/t_manual.pdf>

  The intellectual level needed   for  system design is  in  general
  grossly  underestimated. I am  convinced  more than ever that this
  type of work is very difficult and that every effort to do it with
  other than the best people is doomed to either failure or moderate
  success at enormous expense. --Edsger Dijkstra

From: Drew McDermott
Subject: Re: T manual
Peter Seibel wrote:
> I found a PDF of a manual for the T dialect of Lisp at [1]. It is
> dated October 28, 1988 and is labeled Fifth Edition, Pre-Beta Draft.
>
> Does anyone know where this fits in the evolution of T--given that the
> T project started (as I understand it) in '82 or earlier, I'm guessing
> this document was published near the end of the project. Is that
> right? Were there any other manuals published--such as a non pre-beta
> version of this Fifth Edition?

I don't know if this is relevant:

Stephen Slade, "The T Programming Language: A Dialect of Lisp"
Prentice-Hall, 1987

It's a textbook, not a manual, and I assume long out of print.

    -- Drew McDermott
From: Kent M Pitman
Drew McDermott <··················@at.yale.dot.edu> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
> > I found a PDF of a manual for the T dialect of Lisp at [1]. It is
> > dated October 28, 1988 and is labeled Fifth Edition, Pre-Beta Draft.
> > Does anyone know where this fits in the evolution of T--given that
> > the
> > T project started (as I understand it) in '82 or earlier, I'm guessing
> > this document was published near the end of the project. Is that
> > right? Were there any other manuals published--such as a non pre-beta
> > version of this Fifth Edition?
> >

> I don't know if this is relevant:
>
> Stephen Slade, "The T Programming Language: A Dialect of Lisp"
> Prentice-Hall, 1987
>
> It's a textbook, not a manual, and I assume long out of print.

I'm pretty sure the effort began the summer after I graduated from
MIT, which would be 1981.  Jonathan and Norm Adams had me visit down
there for the summer to kick off the project.  That's when we did the
initial language design and an emulator for the language (including a
prototype of the object system) on the PDP10 prior to bringing up the
real compiler.  Every Tuesday we met to talk about things we might do
with the language, and I'm pretty sure I have a hardcopy pile of notes
from those meetings in storage somewhere, queued for scanning some day
when I have the time and energy.  I also produced the first proto-doc
for the language at the end of that summer, though I don't know if
that version was published.  I think I somewhere have v3 of the T
language spec, which I know was published.  I don't know (or maybe
just can't recall) if v1 corresponds to what I wrote, or whether there
was a v2...