From: Mario S. Mommer
Subject: Editors
Hi,

I wonder: what are the current (free) alternatives to Emacs if you
want an editor with appropriate CL support (Lisp buffer, indentation,
syntax highlighting, paren-matching...)?

And a possibly crazy idea: how feasible would it be to cross nedit and
one of the free lisp, like ECL[1]? Would that be a
hand-me-the-duct-tape-now-wait-a-minute thing or totally impossible?

Regards,
        Mario.

---

[1] Mentioned here mostly because it is has "embeddable" in its name.

From: Rainer Joswig
Subject: Re: Editors
In article <··············@cupid.igpm.rwth-aachen.de>,
 Mario S. Mommer <········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder: what are the current (free) alternatives to Emacs if you
> want an editor with appropriate CL support (Lisp buffer, indentation,
> syntax highlighting, paren-matching...)?

That would be a start.

Well, CMUCL has an editor called Hemlock. Written in Common
Lisp.

Possibly it needs more hacking. Also look for a version
that is called Portable Hemlock.

http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unk6/hemlock/
From: Larry Clapp
In article <··············@cupid.igpm.rwth-aachen.de>, Mario S Mommer wrote:
> I wonder: what are the current (free) alternatives to Emacs if you
> want an editor with appropriate CL support (Lisp buffer,
> indentation, syntax highlighting, paren-matching...)?

Check out http://www.cliki.net/Development

As a died-in-the-wool Vimmer, I like (the admittedly aptly described)
"VIlisp, an (inferior) inferior lisp mode for vim."  ("Inferior", as
in "inferior to Ilisp for Emacs".)

-- Larry

From: Juanjo
Subject: Re: Editors & ECL & FFI
Mario S. Mommer <········@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<··············@cupid.igpm.rwth-aachen.de>...
> And a possibly crazy idea: how feasible would it be to cross nedit and
> one of the free lisp, like ECL[1]? Would that be a
> hand-me-the-duct-tape-now-wait-a-minute thing or totally impossible?

Not impossible at all, and depending on your degree of expertise with
ECL, and how difficult nedit is. Assuming that NEDIT has a single C
function for each editing command, and the access to the editor buffer
is well encapsulated, it may take from one weekend to one month.

As a newbie, the main problem you will find is declaring C functions
for used in Lisp code. In EcoLisp this could be done in two ways
	(defentry tak (int int int) (int tak))
or something like
	(defCbody tak (fixnum fixnum fixnum) fixnum "tak((#0),(#1),(#2)")

IIRC, the DEFENTRY form was deactivated long ago before I got to work
on the ECL project, and I did not notice because I do most of the
C<->Lisp interface by hand. This problem was reported last week, and I
have come out with a third way, which involves a new special form,
C-INLINE, so that the previous code becomes
	(defun tak (x y z)
	  (c-inline (x y z) (:int :int :int) :int
		"tak(#0,#1,#2)"
		:side-effects t
		:one-liner t))

This new form is more flexible, as it allows the user to insert C code
anywhere where a lisp expression is allowed. This is however work in
progress (DEFENTRY and DEFCBODY have to be rewritten using this new
tool), and it is located on a special branch (NEW_COMPILER) of the CVS
tree. Beta-testers are welcome ;-)

Best regards,

Juanjo