From: Jeff Caldwell
Subject: Article about Paul Graham on slashdot today
http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/05/08/1212225.shtml?tid=126&tid=156

From: David Steuber
Subject: Re: Article about Paul Graham on slashdot today
I've always used the editor as a doodle pad for my programming.  The
design, such as it may be, only ever exists in my head.  I also eschew
UML whenever I can.

It is quite refreshing to know that I am not alone in this.

I also tend to be a top down programmer.  I know what I want in
advance and bust up dwim-x into the necessary steps.  Then I bounce
from the bottom back up in the direction of the top.

Does that make any sense?  Maybe I am more of a hack than a hacker.

--
(describe 'describe)
From: Edi Weitz
I like this one:

  "Static typing would be a fine idea if people actually did write
   programs the way they taught me to in college. But that's not how
   any of the hackers I know write programs. We need a language that
   lets us scribble and smudge and smear, not a language where you
   have to sit with a teacup of types balanced on your knee and make
   polite conversation with a strict old aunt of a compiler."

<http://www.paulgraham.com/hp.html>

Edi.
From: Paolo Amoroso
Graham emphasizes source code readability. But certain features of his Lisp
dialect Arc are apparently designed to be easier to write than read.

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it>