From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Bay Area Lispniks
Yesterday evening, the Bay Area Lispniks got together again. We met at
a Vietnamese restaurant in Oakland, a couple blocks away from the
Franz offices which increased the turnout of Franz folks by about
200%, bringing our total to thirteen.

Due to various planning snags, Fritz Kunze, who was originally going
to give a talk about running a Lisp business *after* dinner back at
the Franz offices, instead was forced to try to present it over dinner
and over the din of the popular restaurant. He made a valient attempt
and we heard a bit about the early history of Franz--started 18 years
ago by four guys who put in $500 apiece to get it started and run on a
cash-flow basis ever since--and some of Fritz's theories about the
difficulties hard-core geeks face when trying to sell their technology
to "normal" people. Unfortunately, the milieu of the restaraunt did
not lend itself to much open discussion of the issues Fritz raised.

As always, if you are interested in attending future BA Lispniks
meetings, drop me an email and I'll add you to the mailing list where
the planning happens.

-Peter

  The intellectual level needed   for  system design is  in  general
  grossly  underestimated. I am  convinced  more than ever that this
  type of work is very difficult and that every effort to do it with
  other than the best people is doomed to either failure or moderate
  success at enormous expense. --Edsger Dijkstra
From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Re: Bay Area Lispniks
Peter Seibel <·····@javamonkey.com> writes:

> Yesterday evening, the Bay Area Lispniks got together again. We met at
> a Vietnamese restaurant in Oakland, a couple blocks away from the
> Franz offices which increased the turnout of Franz folks by about
> 200%, bringing our total to thirteen.
>
> Due to various planning snags, Fritz Kunze, who was originally going
> to give a talk about running a Lisp business *after* dinner back at
> the Franz offices, instead was forced to try to present it over dinner
> and over the din of the popular restaurant. He made a valient attempt
> and we heard a bit about the early history of Franz--started 18 years
> ago by four guys who put in $500 apiece to get it started and run on a
> cash-flow basis ever since--and some of Fritz's theories about the
> difficulties hard-core geeks face when trying to sell their technology
> to "normal" people. Unfortunately, the milieu of the restaraunt did
> not lend itself to much open discussion of the issues Fritz raised.

Darn, I guess that means no audio file of the presentation :-(

--
Bill Clementson