From: Jeff Caldwell
Subject: Pragsoft Maxim: A Lisp implemented in Java
A fellow student asked my opinion of Pragsoft Maxim:

http://www.pragsoft.com/download.html

(See "Download Maxim Primer" 1.98 Mb PDF)

which is blatantly Greenspuned Java: they say "Lisp" and one types (list
'red 'green 'blue). It mentions "lambda" but not "first class". It
compiles to .jars, apparently, and allows desktop or web-based delivery.
The GUI is Swing.

groups.google.com found no Pragsoft references in c.l.l or a scheme
group. I thought some people might be interested.

Jeff
From: Matthew Danish
Subject: Re: Pragsoft Maxim: A Lisp implemented in Java
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 02:31:10AM +0000, Jeff Caldwell wrote:
> A fellow student asked my opinion of Pragsoft Maxim:
>
> http://www.pragsoft.com/download.html

It's Lisp from the dark ages.  I am really puzzled by these mini-Lisps which
pop up every so often (see newLISP) that rely exclusively on dynamic binding
and seem to ignore every advance in programming languages made in the last 30
years.  It's not that hard to write a decent mini-Lisp interpreter, really.  In
fact, I wonder how they get away with writing an interpreter anyway.  On top of
JVM, to boot.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.