From: Michael J. Ferrador
Subject: mapcar.org status?
Does anyone know what happened to mapcar.org?

From: Matthew Danish
Subject: Re: mapcar.org status?
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:54:21PM +0000, Michael J. Ferrador wrote:
> Does anyone know what happened to mapcar.org?

I tried to tell you, but your email server wouldn't let me...

It's down until I put the machine back on the network, hopefully soon.  There
were some hard-drive troubles.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Gareth McCaughan
Michael J. Ferrador wrote:

> Does anyone know what happened to mapcar.org?

Hmm. So there's cons.org (where, among other things,
CMUCL lives) and mapcar.org (Matthew Danish's site).
How many other standard CL symbols have .org domains?
Do any of them have anything to do with Lisp?

I did a little experimenting and found quite a
few, none of them Lisp-related. The most surprising
to me was setf.org: the Samhaellsfoereningen Ekshaerad
Turism och Fritid, whatever exactly that is. I was
surprised to find nothing called loop.org, atom.org
or null.org, and I've no idea why cond.org is called
what it is.

c.l.l's fully paid up Python-haters will be
disappointed that www.list.org belongs to
the Mailman program, which is written in
tllotbafir. (Full disclosure: Python's my
second favourite programming language. After,
of course, Common Lisp.)

Oddly enough, there is no unwind-protect.org,
no multiple-value-bind.org, and no with-hash-table-iterator.org .

--
Gareth McCaughan  ················@pobox.com
.sig under construc
From: Matthew Danish
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 12:34:07AM +0100, Gareth McCaughan wrote:
> Michael J. Ferrador wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what happened to mapcar.org?
>
> Hmm. So there's cons.org (where, among other things,
> CMUCL lives) and mapcar.org (Matthew Danish's site).
> How many other standard CL symbols have .org domains?
> Do any of them have anything to do with Lisp?

Quite a few don't, and some are quite amusing, as you discovered.

> I did a little experimenting and found quite a
> few, none of them Lisp-related. The most surprising
> to me was setf.org: the Samhaellsfoereningen Ekshaerad
> Turism och Fritid, whatever exactly that is. I was
> surprised to find nothing called loop.org, atom.org
> or null.org, and I've no idea why cond.org is called
> what it is.

None of these are available though.  My whois client also returned negative
results for these, but netsol had listings.

> c.l.l's fully paid up Python-haters will be
> disappointed that www.list.org belongs to
> the Mailman program, which is written in
> tllotbafir. (Full disclosure: Python's my
> second favourite programming language. After,
> of course, Common Lisp.)

I think Mailman-haters are probably disappointed too.

> Oddly enough, there is no unwind-protect.org,
> no multiple-value-bind.org, and no with-hash-table-iterator.org .

It would seem that DNS was well designed for Lisp symbol names; except that no
one likes to use the - these days.  They prefer domains names such as:

welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com

for some odd reason.  But then again, people like C++ too, and I don't
understand why either.

From: Christopher Browne
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu> would write:
> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 12:34:07AM +0100, Gareth McCaughan wrote:
>> Michael J. Ferrador wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know what happened to mapcar.org?
>>
>> Hmm. So there's cons.org (where, among other things,
>> CMUCL lives) and mapcar.org (Matthew Danish's site).
>> How many other standard CL symbols have .org domains?
>> Do any of them have anything to do with Lisp?
>
> Quite a few don't, and some are quite amusing, as you discovered.
>
>> I did a little experimenting and found quite a
>> few, none of them Lisp-related. The most surprising
>> to me was setf.org: the Samhaellsfoereningen Ekshaerad
>> Turism och Fritid, whatever exactly that is. I was
>> surprised to find nothing called loop.org, atom.org
>> or null.org, and I've no idea why cond.org is called
>> what it is.
>
> None of these are available though.  My whois client also returned negative
> results for these, but netsol had listings.
>
>> c.l.l's fully paid up Python-haters will be
>> disappointed that www.list.org belongs to
>> the Mailman program, which is written in
>> tllotbafir. (Full disclosure: Python's my
>> second favourite programming language. After,
>> of course, Common Lisp.)
>
> I think Mailman-haters are probably disappointed too.
>
>> Oddly enough, there is no unwind-protect.org,
>> no multiple-value-bind.org, and no with-hash-table-iterator.org .
>
> It would seem that DNS was well designed for Lisp symbol names; except that no
> one likes to use the - these days.  They prefer domains names such as:
>
> welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com
>
> for some odd reason.  But then again, people like C++ too, and I don't
> understand why either.

Well, for ORG, the schema begins with

create table epp_domain (
   id integer not null,
   name character varying (68) not null,

   (I have access to the sources...)

With the result that it is a perfectly reasonable idea to have
Lisp-style names up to 64 characters long...

You don't have the option of cl::multiple-value-bind.org, but you
certainly can't have _everything_...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" ·@ntlug.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html
From: Christian Lynbech

Gareth> Hmm. So there's cons.org (where, among other things,
Gareth> CMUCL lives) and mapcar.org (Matthew Danish's site).
Gareth> How many other standard CL symbols have .org domains?
Gareth> Do any of them have anything to do with Lisp?

I hold `defun.dk'. There is not really a visible site yet but if there
is ever going to be one, it will be lisp related :-)

Christian Lynbech       | christian ··@ defun #\. dk
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)
From: Rudi Schlatte
Christian Lynbech <·················@ted.ericsson.se> writes:

> Gareth> Hmm. So there's cons.org (where, among other things,
> Gareth> CMUCL lives) and mapcar.org (Matthew Danish's site).
> Gareth> How many other standard CL symbols have .org domains?
> Gareth> Do any of them have anything to do with Lisp?
>
> I hold `defun.dk'. There is not really a visible site yet but if there
> is ever going to be one, it will be lisp related :-)

I've got constantly.at (only a vanity site at the moment).
--
whois DRS1020334-NICAT                    http://constantly.at/pubkey.gpg.asc
     Key fingerprint = C182 F738 6B9A 83AF 9C25  62D9 EFAE 45A6 9A69 0867
From: Ingvar Mattsson
Gareth McCaughan <················@pobox.com> writes:

> Michael J. Ferrador wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what happened to mapcar.org?
>
> Hmm. So there's cons.org (where, among other things,
> CMUCL lives) and mapcar.org (Matthew Danish's site).
> How many other standard CL symbols have .org domains?
> Do any of them have anything to do with Lisp?
>
> I did a little experimenting and found quite a
> few, none of them Lisp-related. The most surprising
> to me was setf.org: the Samhaellsfoereningen Ekshaerad
> Turism och Fritid, whatever exactly that is. I was
> surprised to find nothing called loop.org, atom.org
> or null.org, and I've no idea why cond.org is called
> what it is.

"Samh�llsf�reningen Eksh�rad Turism och Fritid"?

The local association of Eksh�rad, Tourism and Leisure. Apparently
promoting the area aorund Eksh�rad as a good place to go touristing
and engaging both local and non-local people to go there for
relaxation and leisure.

It's not necessarily a *good* description, I only had a very quick look.

//Ingvar
--
((lambda (x y l) (format nil "~{~a~}" (loop for a in x for b in y with c = t
if a collect (funcall (if c #'char-upcase #'char-downcase) (elt (elt l a) b))
From: Matthew Danish
On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:54:21PM +0000, Michael J. Ferrador wrote:
> Does anyone know what happened to mapcar.org?

It's back, finally, after battling DNS servers for several days.

From: Ng Pheng Siong
According to Matthew Danish  <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>:
> ; "There is no dark side of the moon really; matter of fact, it's all dark."

Hi,

This is what I told my 7-year old recently, when he related a story about
the moon he heard from school. I explained (well, I imagine!) the sun
appears as a very bright star in the lunar sky.

Just wondering if you happen to know of any lunar solar shots on the web.
;-)

Thanks. Cheers.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <····@netmemetic.com>

http://firewall.rulemaker.net  -+- Manage Your Firewall Rulebase Changes
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps -+- Open Source Python Crypto & SSL
From: Ng Pheng Siong
According to Ng Pheng Siong <····@netmemetic.com>:
> Just wondering if you happen to know of any lunar solar shots on the web.
> ;-)

Doh! My fat fingers! That was supposed to be mailed. ;-)

From: Joe Marshall
····@netmemetic.com (Ng Pheng Siong) writes:

> According to Matthew Danish  <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>:
> > ; "There is no dark side of the moon really; matter of fact, it's all dark."
>
> Hi,
>
> This is what I told my 7-year old recently, when he related a story about
> the moon he heard from school. I explained (well, I imagine!) the sun
> appears as a very bright star in the lunar sky.

The solar disc would be visible and the brightness would be about
magnitude -26, so everything else would be lost in the glare.  There
is little atmospheric scattering, so presumably if you sheilded your
eyes you would see other stars.

From: Ng Pheng Siong
According to Joe Marshall  <···@ccs.neu.edu>:
> The solar disc would be visible and the brightness would be about
> magnitude -26, so everything else would be lost in the glare.  There
> is little atmospheric scattering, so presumably if you sheilded your
> eyes you would see other stars.

Thanks.

Now I gotta issue a bugfix to my boy. ;-)