From: Johan Parin
Subject: LW Linux & OpenMotif 2.2
Hi all,

I'm trying to get LWL Personal 4.2 to work on my RedHat 7.3 system. RH
7.3 comes with openmotif-2.2, which (strangely) includes libXm.so.3.

By default, when LW starts, it looks for libXm.so.1. So I went into
<lib>/config/use-use-motif-library and inserted the following:

(:detect-version (("/usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.3" 3))
 :prefer-version 3

When trying now, the error message is:

Error during GUI startup:
  Could not register handle for external module X-UTILITIES::CAPIX11:
 /tmp/fileIItRW1.so: file too short.

Any suggestions on what I should try here? Will I have to use Lesstif
or, should I downgrade to openmotif-2.1?

Thanks in advance.

--
Johan Parin <···········@abc.se>
"Lisp is a programmable programming language" - John Foderaro

From: Espen Vestre
Subject: Re: LW Linux & OpenMotif 2.2
Johan Parin <···········@abc.se> writes:

> Any suggestions on what I should try here? Will I have to use Lesstif
> or, should I downgrade to openmotif-2.1?

lesstif is less than optimal, I think the best solution is to downgrade
to OpenMotif 2.1.
--
  (espen)
From: Johan Parin
Espen Vestre writes:

  Espen> lesstif is less than optimal, I think the best solution is to
  Espen> downgrade to OpenMotif 2.1.

Fortunately, there were 2.1 compatibility librararies that could be
installed in addition to the 2.2 ones. Now it's working.

Thanks.

From: Espen Vestre
Johan Parin <···········@abc.se> writes:

>   Espen> lesstif is less than optimal, I think the best solution is to
>   Espen> downgrade to OpenMotif 2.1.
>
> Fortunately, there were 2.1 compatibility librararies that could be
> installed in addition to the 2.2 ones. Now it's working.
>
> Thanks.

That's very interesting, can you give me a pointer? (I have advised
customers of my application to downgrade, this sounds like a much
better solution)
--
  (espen)
From: Johan Parin
Espen Vestre writes:

  Espen> Johan Parin <···········@abc.se> writes:

  Espen> lesstif is less than optimal, I think the best solution is to
  Espen> downgrade to OpenMotif 2.1.
  >>
  >> Fortunately, there were 2.1 compatibility librararies that could be
  >> installed in addition to the 2.2 ones. Now it's working.
  >>
  >> Thanks.

  Espen> That's very interesting, can you give me a pointer? (I have
  Espen> advised customers of my application to downgrade, this sounds
  Espen> like a much better solution)

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distributions/redhat/redhat/linux/7.3/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/openmotif21-2.1.30-1.i386.rpm

From the description of the package:

"This package contains the compatibility libraries for running Open
Motif 2.1 applications"

From: Johan Parin
Espen Vestre writes:

  Espen> Johan Parin <···········@abc.se> writes:

  Espen> lesstif is less than optimal, I think the best solution is to
  Espen> downgrade to OpenMotif 2.1.
  >>
  >> Fortunately, there were 2.1 compatibility librararies that could
  >> be installed in addition to the 2.2 ones. Now it's working.
  >>
  >> Thanks.

  Espen> That's very interesting, can you give me a pointer? (I have
  Espen> advised customers of my application to downgrade, this sounds
  Espen> like a much better solution)

I seem to be having som news problems, I apologize if this message
appears twice.

Anyway, in the redhat section of the redhat 7.3 section on any of the
redhat mirrors, there should be a file called
openmotif21-2.1.30-1.i386.rpm.

From the description of this rpm: