From: Madhusudan Singh
Subject: Query about gcl and maxima
Hi
        I recently came across maxima, a lisp based symbolic/numeric calcu
lation tool. My knowledge of lisp is zero. (My platform is Linux.).

        It is possible to compile maxima source files into *.o and *.LISP fil
es. Is it possible to generate executables by using some kind of linker ?

Thanks,

MS

From: Franz Kafka
Subject: Re: Query about gcl and maxima

>         It is possible to compile maxima source files into *.o and *.LISP fil
> es. Is it possible to generate executables by using some kind of linker ?

Usually Lisp programs are designed to be run in Lisp, I'm not sure
about Maxima. Check the documents.

But, I'll be you have to start up your Lisp Compiler
and type
(load "maxima.lisp")
or what ever Lisp file is the main file.

And, hope it is written in ANSI standard Lisp.

and then type
(start)
or some simular command.

It should tell you how in the manual.

And, remember in Lisp unlike in Linux all commands have to be enclosed
in perens. ( and )

So instead of typing 'start' you'd have to type '(start)'

If you have any other ?'s--you should send an e-mail to the person who
wrote maxima or gave it to you.
From: Marc Mertens
Madhusudan Singh wrote:

> Hi
>         I recently came across maxima, a lisp based symbolic/numeric calcu
> lation tool. My knowledge of lisp is zero. (My platform is Linux.).
>
>         It is possible to compile maxima source files into *.o and *.LISP
>         fil
> es. Is it possible to generate executables by using some kind of linker ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MS

I think you better subscribe to the mailing list of maxima to get a answer
to you question, go to http://maxima.sourceforge.net/lists.html for more
info.

Marc
From: James Amundson
On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:16:09 -0600, Madhusudan Singh wrote:

> Hi
>         I recently came across maxima, a lisp based symbolic/numeric calcu
> lation tool. My knowledge of lisp is zero. (My platform is Linux.).
>
>         It is possible to compile maxima source files into *.o and *.LISP fil
> es. Is it possible to generate executables by using some kind of linker ?

There is a complicated answer to this question and a simple answer to this
question. The simple answer is to download Maxima 5.9.0 from
<http://maxima.sf.net>, where you will find both compiled and source versions.
You don't really need to know anything about Lisp to use Maxima.

--Jim Amundson
From: Fred Gilham
Subject: Maxima/CMUCL (was Re: Query about gcl and maxima)
A month or so I posted a gripe about the Maxima development effort.
One problem I was having was that it didn't work under CMUCL/FreeBSD.

I later spent some time figuring out why it didn't work, and I found
that the problem was related to using bash as the sh shell.  When I
changed

#!/bin/sh

in /usr/local/bin/maxima

#!/bin/bash

it worked fine.  (I have bash installed in /bin on my FreeBSD
machine.)

I also complained that when I ran xmaxima it killed my X server.  I
tried it after making the above change and xmaxima seems to work fine
now also.

I haven't bothered to figure out why FreeBSD's sh doesn't like the
maxima script.  I did report the problem (a long time ago) and the
workaround (more recently) to the Maxima sourceforge bug list.

So I unsay my hard words about the Maxima development and simply
encourage them to make all their dependencies clear.  :-)

I should say that I've been playing with Maxima for probably some ten
years or more and was disappointed to have it stop working under
CMUCL/FreeBSD, especially since I helped find and fix a number of bugs
after it was ANSIfied and made to work under CMUCL.  So I'm not *just*
complaining. :-)

--
Fred Gilham                                        ······@csl.sri.com
Thou shalt not convince stupid people to try cordless bungee jumping....
From: James Amundson
Subject: Re: Maxima/CMUCL (was Re: Query about gcl and maxima)
On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:48:31 -0600, Fred Gilham wrote:

> A month or so I posted a gripe about the Maxima development effort. One
> problem I was having was that it didn't work under CMUCL/FreeBSD.
>
> I later spent some time figuring out why it didn't work, and I found that the
> problem was related to using bash as the sh shell.  When I changed
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> in /usr/local/bin/maxima

> #!/bin/bash
>
> it worked fine.  (I have bash installed in /bin on my FreeBSD machine.)
>
> I also complained that when I ran xmaxima it killed my X server.  I tried it
> after making the above change and xmaxima seems to work fine now also.
>
> I haven't bothered to figure out why FreeBSD's sh doesn't like the maxima
> script.  I did report the problem (a long time ago) and the workaround (more
> recently) to the Maxima sourceforge bug list.
>
> So I unsay my hard words about the Maxima development and simply encourage
> them to make all their dependencies clear.  :-)

Maxima does not require bash. If there is some residual dependency on bash it is
a bug. In your case there is the problem that CMUCL is not found if it is named
"cmucl" instead of "lisp". The temporary workaround until the bug is eliminated
is to set the environment variable CMUCL to the name of your lisp executable.
Was there more to your problem than that? If so, I want to know.

--Jim Amundson