From: Espen Vestre
Subject: Oslo lispniks!
Inspirired by the amazing and sudden uprise of socializing lispers
around the world, Oslo lispers will meet for a drink on friday.

Tune in to no.it.programmering.lisp for the details!
--
  (espen)

From: Espen Vestre
Subject: Re: Oslo lispniks!
Espen Vestre <·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> writes:

> Inspirired by the amazing and sudden uprise of socializing lispers
> around the world, Oslo lispers will meet for a drink on friday.

A quick report from this event: The response was better than I had
hoped for: Appr. 25 happy lispers showed up!
--
  (espen)
From: Christian Lynbech

Espen> A quick report from this event: The response was better than I had
Espen> hoped for: Appr. 25 happy lispers showed up!

This proves it. Norwegians have a stronger passion for lisp than
anybody else (cf. the thread a while back on the position of lisp in
the nordic countries).

Christian Lynbech       | christian ··@ defun #\. dk
                                        - ·······@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)
From: Petter Gustad
Christian Lynbech <·················@ted.ericsson.se> writes:

> Espen> A quick report from this event: The response was better than I had
> Espen> hoped for: Appr. 25 happy lispers showed up!
>
> This proves it. Norwegians have a stronger passion for lisp than
> anybody else (cf. the thread a while back on the position of lisp in
> the nordic countries).

Oslo has 500,000 inhabitants. This means that the density of Lisp
enthusiasts is 1 in 20,000 :-)

Petter
Petter Gustad         8'h2B | ~8'h2B        http://www.gustad.com/petter
From: Ingvar Mattsson
Petter Gustad <·············@gustad.com> writes:

> > Espen> A quick report from this event: The response was better than I had
> > Espen> hoped for: Appr. 25 happy lispers showed up!
> >
> > This proves it. Norwegians have a stronger passion for lisp than
> > anybody else (cf. the thread a while back on the position of lisp in
> > the nordic countries).
>
> Oslo has 500,000 inhabitants. This means that the density of Lisp
> enthusiasts is 1 in 20,000 :-)

London has some 10 million inhabitants, IIRC. Out of those, there were
about 6 Londoners and an Oxfordian at the last London meet. That gives
less than 1 ppm lisper in the general London population. be happy for
1/20 000.

//Ingvar
--
When in douFNORD! This signature has been hi-jacked by Fnord Information
systems, to fnordprovide you with unfnordlimited information.
From: Teemu Kalvas
Ingvar Mattsson <······@cathouse.bofh.se> writes:

> Petter Gustad <·············@gustad.com> writes:

> > > Espen> A quick report from this event: The response was better than I had
> > > Espen> hoped for: Appr. 25 happy lispers showed up!
> > >
> > > This proves it. Norwegians have a stronger passion for lisp than
> > > anybody else (cf. the thread a while back on the position of lisp in
> > > the nordic countries).
> >
> > Oslo has 500,000 inhabitants. This means that the density of Lisp
> > enthusiasts is 1 in 20,000 :-)
>
> London has some 10 million inhabitants, IIRC. Out of those, there were
> about 6 Londoners and an Oxfordian at the last London meet. That gives
> less than 1 ppm lisper in the general London population. be happy for
> 1/20 000.

YM 5 Londoners, an Oxfordian and a Finn who Accidentally Just Happened
By, 1500 Miles From Home. HTH.

--
Teemu Kalvas
From: Steven M. Haflich
Petter Gustad wrote:

>>Espen> A quick report from this event: The response was better than I had
>>Espen> hoped for: Appr. 25 happy lispers showed up!
>>
>>This proves it. Norwegians have a stronger passion for lisp than
>>anybody else (cf. the thread a while back on the position of lisp in
>>the nordic countries).
>

> Oslo has 500,000 inhabitants. This means that the density of Lisp
> enthusiasts is 1 in 20,000 :-)

A cynic would interpret this data differently: No Lisp was
programmed during the meeting, but drinks were ordered, so the
experiment is unrelated to the density of Lisp enthusiasts and
instead determines the density of drinkers.  However, 1 in
20,000 is a preposterous underestimate of drinkers in Oslo...
From: Ingvar Mattsson
"Steven M. Haflich" <·················@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Petter Gustad wrote:
[SNIP]
> > Oslo has 500,000 inhabitants. This means that the density of Lisp
> > enthusiasts is 1 in 20,000 :-)
>
> A cynic would interpret this data differently: No Lisp was
> programmed during the meeting, but drinks were ordered, so the
> experiment is unrelated to the density of Lisp enthusiasts and
> instead determines the density of drinkers.  However, 1 in
> 20,000 is a preposterous underestimate of drinkers in Oslo...

Ah, that's where the London meet shines. I wrote Actual Code while
waiting for the rest to turn up (parts of a reader, to be specific).

//Ingvar
--
Coffee: Nectar of gods / Aesir-mead of sysadmins / Elixir of life
From: JP Massar
On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:48:15 GMT, "Steven M. Haflich"
<·················@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>Petter Gustad wrote:

>>>Espen> A quick report from this event: The response was better than I had
>>>Espen> hoped for: Appr. 25 happy lispers showed up!
>>>
>>>This proves it. Norwegians have a stronger passion for lisp than
>>>anybody else (cf. the thread a while back on the position of lisp in
>>>the nordic countries).
>>

>> Oslo has 500,000 inhabitants. This means that the density of Lisp
>> enthusiasts is 1 in 20,000 :-)
>
>A cynic would interpret this data differently: No Lisp was
>programmed during the meeting, but drinks were ordered, so the
>experiment is unrelated to the density of Lisp enthusiasts and
>instead determines the density of drinkers.

No, it would be proportional to the density of drinkers who were aware
of the meeting and were in the immediate area.

That could easily be 3/4.
From: Espen Vestre
"Steven M. Haflich" <·················@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> A cynic would interpret this data differently: No Lisp was
> programmed during the meeting, but drinks were ordered, so the
> experiment is unrelated to the density of Lisp enthusiasts and
> instead determines the density of drinkers.  However, 1 in
> 20,000 is a preposterous underestimate of drinkers in Oslo...

:-)

However, I counted that more than half (and I didn't get the chance to
talk to everyone, so that's just a lower limit estimate) of the
attending lispers are (full-time) employed as lisp programmers.
--
  (espen)
From: Lars Brinkhoff
Espen Vestre <·····@*do-not-spam-me*.vestre.net> writes:
> I counted that more than half (and I didn't get the chance to talk
> to everyone, so that's just a lower limit estimate) of the attending
> lispers are (full-time) employed as lisp programmers.

This certainly adds fuel to my conviction that Sweden should leave EU
and join Norway!

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, PDP-10, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/