From: Nahuel Greco
Subject: Lisp users in Argentina?
Hi, somebody from Argentina (or another SouthAmerica country) is
reading this? I wold like to start a Lisp Users Group here in
the south of the globe, but by the time i'm the only one (and
very newbie). Anyone?

Nahuel Greco.

From: Fernando Mato Mira
Subject: Re: Lisp users in Argentina?
······@codenix.com (Nahuel Greco) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, somebody from Argentina (or another SouthAmerica country) is
> reading this? I wold like to start a Lisp Users Group here in
> the south of the globe, but by the time i'm the only one (and
> very newbie). Anyone?
>

> Nahuel Greco.

Check out the Computer Science dept. at FCEyN of UBA. They use Lisp for AI.
From: Nahuel Greco

> Check out the Computer Science dept. at FCEyN of UBA. They use
> Lisp for AI.

I'm an FCEyN student but I haven't taken any AI course yet. I will
check here for sure (I tought that UBA was more an Smalltalker's nest :) ).

Thanks,

Nahuel Greco.
From: Henry Lenzi
On 13 Mar 2003 00:17:36 -0800, ········@acm.org (Fernando Mato Mira)
wrote:

>······@codenix.com (Nahuel Greco) wrote in message news:<····························@posting.google.com>...
>> Hi, somebody from Argentina (or another SouthAmerica country) is
>> reading this? I wold like to start a Lisp Users Group here in
>> the south of the globe, but by the time i'm the only one (and
>> very newbie). Anyone?
>>

>> Nahuel Greco.
>
>Check out the Computer Science dept. at FCEyN of UBA. They use Lisp for AI.

Hi --

 I'm in southern Brazil, just next to Argentina (Rio Grande do Sul).
Just 2 hrs plane ride or 8 hr bus from Porto Alegre (where I am) to
Buenos Aires.
 A "local" Lisp Group would be interesting. On the other hand, I
wouldn't expect much from CS departments in terms o LLUG (Local Lisp
User Groups). In my town, usually they all have someone who knows LISP
(though sometimes in an outdated manner), but so what? Never seen them
here in c.l.l.

 I think the idea is very interesting.

 By the way, We have an international Free Software Forum here (with
the presence of some pundits - e.g., Stallman, Larry Wall - yuck!,
Miguel de Icaza, etc.). Maybe some day we can get around to meeting
somewhere.
 Also, Argentina used to have an active Smalltalk group, but it seems
dead now (not that this has anything to do with it).

 We can put up a page somewhere and /try/ to make the poor ignorant
people see the /light/.

 Henry Lenzi
 synthespian A T uol.com.br

From: Nahuel Greco
···········@uol.com.br (Henry Lenzi) wrote in message news:<·················@news.cis.dfn.de>...

>  I'm in southern Brazil, just next to Argentina (Rio Grande do Sul).
> Just 2 hrs plane ride or 8 hr bus from Porto Alegre (where I am) to
> Buenos Aires.
>  A "local" Lisp Group would be interesting. On the other hand, I
> wouldn't expect much from CS departments in terms o LLUG (Local Lisp
> User Groups). In my town, usually they all have someone who knows LISP
> (though sometimes in an outdated manner),

Yes, here I saw Lisp courses in universities but they are like
'how to write a lisp parser', always as an example of "interpreted
crazy old language" only for AI purposes.

> but so what? Never seen them here in c.l.l.
>  I think the idea is very interesting.

Yes, maybe with luck we can find a Symbolics machine lost in the
third world zone :). You know more people in Brazil involved with CL
(or Scheme)?

>  By the way, We have an international Free Software Forum here (with
> the presence of some pundits - e.g., Stallman, Larry Wall - yuck!,
> Miguel de Icaza, etc.). Maybe some day we can get around to meeting
> somewhere.

In that front here we have some Linux UG's, I meet RMS a couple years
ago in a LUG meeting, but at these times I don't know Lisp so I
lost the oportunity to ask him Lisp related questions.

In fact, the original group http://www.sugarweb.com forked years ago.
Now the most active group is their spinoff, http://www.smalltalking.net

>  We can put up a page somewhere and /try/ to make the poor ignorant
> people see the /light/.

Want to start a SouthAmerica Lisp mailing list? please let's talk about
it by private mail.

Nahuel Greco.