From: Mad Mountain
Subject: graphics in lisp
I am a new user to allegro lisp ver 6.2 and would like to know if there is a
really simple tutorial or book that could show me how to get into use of the
graphics system fast and dirty.  My immediate needs are simple and once
there I can expand around the example and please dont tell me to follow the
"project" for the cycloid i want to get in and out. the whole forms thing is
a big turn off for me.

kelly.
From: Rmagere
Subject: Re: graphics in lisp
"Mad Mountain" <···········@favorites.com> wrote in message
·························@news.uswest.net...
>would like to know if there is a
> really simple tutorial or book that could show me how to get into use of
the
> graphics system fast and dirty.

I had the same problem and got a real big help from Kenny Tilton so you
might want to have a look at the messages under the title "Question about
Jlinker and MemoryImageSource (more generally about graphics in lisp)"

Anyway here is an extract from one of the first messages hopefully it will
be as much help to you as it was to me.
Also I think you should (while running ACL 6.2) press Alt+Shift+N and have a
look at the examples there and the code that was used to generate them.

>"Kenny Tilton" <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>·····················@nyc.rr.com...

>"Rmagere" wrote in message
>> and I have not found any book dealing with graphics in Lisp nor any real
>> good tutorial on the web (though I will look better
>> now that  I know what to look for).
>
>Well, it is not so much "graphics in Lisp" or even graphics that is your
>problem since you just want to draw boxes. That is real easy in CG. Then
>you can concentrate on your algorithm.
>
>Go to the Help menu in ACl and the fifth itme will be "Allegro CL Doc".
>That takes you to a navigable doc suite. It's a little tricky. Hit item
>2.1 tot ake you to an alleged "contents" page, then in the first
>paragraph click the "contents" url/word to get to the real contents
>page. scroll down a few to get to CG doc.
>
>1. Learn how to make an empty window
>
>2. Learn how to make and paint a box.
>
>3. Learn how to put the box where you want it (the coordinate system)
>
>Basically you subclass FrameWindow and specialize the WM_PAINT method to
>do all drawing. Other WM_ methods are named after win32 methods: mouse
>motion, button downs, key events.
>
>That's low-level. If you want fancier stuff look at CG widgets and the
>handlers (callbacks) they support.

Rmagere