From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Adopt-a-Newby?
lispnyc web neeting 03/04/03 degenerated into newby faq. so i got the
idea, what if local lisp groups served as local lisp project incubators?
well, at least cooperators. ie, voluntary support/guidance for early
adopters considering a jump to Lisp?

I say this because tonight a few lispnykers spent the evening offering
tech support to a C developer ready to switch to Lisp.

The idea is that we serve as a local resource to grease the skids for
new Lisp projects (and who knows, maybe a volunteer turns into an
employee, but that is secondary.)

That would be more fun than watching a presentation and then getting
hammered once a month. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Turns it into a continuous phenomenon, tho no more burdensome.

As for finding newby's to adopt... build it and they will come?

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

From: Dave Sieber
Subject: Re: Adopt-a-Newby?
Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
·····················@nyc.rr.com:

> lispnyc web neeting 03/04/03 degenerated into newby faq. so i got the
> idea, what if local lisp groups served as local lisp project
> incubators? well, at least cooperators. ie, voluntary support/guidance
> for early adopters considering a jump to Lisp?

I'd be up for that! I've been playing with Lisp for the last month or so,
but have no one to talk to, and haven't gotten past the first few humps.
Having an informal "mentor" or support group of some sort would be great.
Someplace to ask "Yeah, but how do I do this?" and not feel stupid :-)

I'm in Los Angeles (Pico/Robertson locale, for those who know the area),
and am increasingly frustrated with C++.

--
dave
From: Kenny Tilton
Dave Sieber wrote:
> Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
> ·····················@nyc.rr.com:
>

>>lispnyc web neeting 03/04/03 degenerated into newby faq. so i got the
>>idea, what if local lisp groups served as local lisp project
>>incubators? well, at least cooperators. ie, voluntary support/guidance
>>for early adopters considering a jump to Lisp?
>

> I'd be up for that! I've been playing with Lisp for the last month or so,
> but have no one to talk to, and haven't gotten past the first few humps.
> Having an informal "mentor" or support group of some sort would be great.
> Someplace to ask "Yeah, but how do I do this?" and not feel stupid :-)

Right. One would think c.l.l. would suffice, but maybe it goes a little
smoother if there is a small mailing-list of locals one had beers with
the week before who really know your mindset.

And to the extent that the idea is to develop projects so they become
Lisp jobs, it is better to have locals pitching in.

> I'm in Los Angeles (Pico/Robertson locale, for those who know the area),
> and am increasingly frustrated with C++.

That's what drove me to Lisp (tho after years of C I only had to glance
through a few chapters of Stroustrup to know it was not the Better Way I
was looking for).

From: Dave Sieber
Kenny Tilton <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in
·····················@nyc.rr.com:

> Right. One would think c.l.l. would suffice, but maybe it goes a
> little smoother if there is a small mailing-list of locals one had
> beers with the week before who really know your mindset.

Depends on the individual, I guess. I'm not a Usenet junkie, but it seems
good for short specific questions that can be readily answered by someone
with an expert knowledge of the area. For general discussion and help for
newbies, it might not be the best thing for everyone.

I have a C++ friend, we meet once a week for lunch or coffee, and we
discuss technology, design patterns, or simply our latest troubles with
C++ :-). It's fun, productive, and helpful, and there is no Eric Naggum
waiting in the wings to tear us apart. Something like that for Lisp would
be great for me, because my questions are basic. As a beginner, I don't
understand most of what is discussed here (just as a C++ beginner is not
going to understand what is being discussed on comp.lang.c++) -- I need a
beginner's forum, or at least someone willing to listen to a beginner's
questions and help sort through the confusion and problems. I've tried
giving Lisp a go several times but haven't gotten to the point of feeling
productive with it and the various implementions/environments I've tried.
I wonder if others are having the same difficulties, or if I am alone in
this?

> That's what drove me to Lisp (tho after years of C I only had to
> glance through a few chapters of Stroustrup to know it was not the
> Better Way I was looking for).

Well, I don't hate C++, but for the things I want to do, it is becoming
unproductive and I'm looking for that "Better Way" too. I actually like
most technologies -- Perl is about the only one where I put down the book
in disgust and quit reading.

--
dave