From: F. GEIGER
Subject: Need some pointers on starting to program in Lisp
Hi everybody,

I'd like to have a look at Lisp. My background: Currently I'm doing a lot in
C++ and Python on Windows.

At the moment I'm googling around, but the amount of information I find is
overwhelming.

So probably one or the other is willing to give me some pointers, how I can
tackle Lisp programming on Windows easiest.

Besides tutorials on the web, which books are best? Is there anything like
www.accu.org for C/C++ - (and Java-) books or the C/C++ Users Journal -
Editor's Corner - Reading List (http://www.cuj.com/corner/read.htm)?

Which distro is best for Windows? Batteries included?

Which IDEs are out there? My understanding of an IDE is an editor and a
debugger like WingIDE for Python or MSVS for MSVC++.

Many thanks in advance and best regards.

Franz GEIGER

From: Kenny Tilton
F. GEIGER wrote:
> Which distro is best for Windows?

(sort #'< *win32-lisps-known-to-kenny*
    :key #'kennys-ide-experience-level-and-preference)
=> (CLisp CormanLisp LispWorks ACL)

Oddly, same sort as with :key #'$$$.

Please note that you asked especially about "batteries", and if that
means what i think it means, you might get a lower price/battery ratio
with LW than ACL.  Check their sites, obviously.

> Which IDEs are out there? My understanding of an IDE is an editor and a
> debugger like WingIDE for Python or MSVS for MSVC++.

I have been doing ACL massively for four years, guess which one I think
is most powerful. But I hated it when I first came over from MCL (which
I now can barely abide), so... ignore me? If not, see what others say,
but I dig ACL.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
From: Jonathan Craven
Sounds to me like you'd be most comfortable with LispWorks
<http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/index.html#personal-edition>.  Its
IDE is probably most like what you're familiar with, plus it comes
with a fair number of friendly example programs IIRC.  The personal
edition at the link above is a free download and fine for learning.

Most lispers use Emacs as their IDE along with a package called ILISP,
but I'd say if what you want is something MSVS-esque then LispWorks is
probably the thing for you.

-JC

(I currently use Emacs and GNU Clisp, FWIW)