From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: lispnik web ring?
Nowadays programmers are engaged in a great language revolution, testing
whether C++ or any language so badly conceived and can long endure. We
have met in great sports bars to discuss Lisp's supremacy. Others in
other bars have done the same. It is altogether fitting and proper that
we should do this.

Lisp NYC soon will bring forth on the information superduper highway a
new web site, conceived in a bar, and dedicated to the proposition that
all code, including the web server, should be written in Lisp.

Initial thinking on content leans strongly to Lisp advocacy. One feature
which might be cool is for any UG member to add their own "Why Lisp?"
ruminations, promoting themselves (if they write well) and Lisp at the
same time.

If other groups do the same (perhaps benefitting from others' work on
the Web site or even sharing space on a server), it seems like we can
use the Web to make something greater than the sum of the bars, by
linking all these Lisp advocacy sites.

I wonder what the head count is now on all the lispnik groups. If
nothing else, such a web ring could be a great answer to "Who uses Lisp?"

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc

From: Tibor Simko
Subject: Re: lispnik web ring?
On Mon, 03 Mar 2003, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> One feature which might be cool is for any UG member to add their
> own "Why Lisp?" ruminations, promoting themselves (if they write
> well) and Lisp at the same time.

Yes.  Our UG is trying to achieve similar Lisp-promoting goals within
the walls of our organisation, see <http://lisp.cern.ch/>.  (Still an
early draft, most ruminations missing.)

> If nothing else, such a web ring could be a great answer to "Who
> uses Lisp?"

The web ring idea is definitively nice, although I'm afraid that
unless there is a dozen or so of UG sites, the ring may not look very
appealing to casual visitors...
From: Kenny Tilton
Tibor Simko wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2003, Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>>One feature which might be cool is for any UG member to add their
>>own "Why Lisp?" ruminations, promoting themselves (if they write
>>well) and Lisp at the same time.
>

> Yes.  Our UG is trying to achieve similar Lisp-promoting goals within
> the walls of our organisation, see <http://lisp.cern.ch/>.  (Still an
> early draft, most ruminations missing.)

That's a great start.

>>If nothing else, such a web ring could be a great answer to "Who
>>uses Lisp?"
>

> The web ring idea is definitively nice, although I'm afraid that
> unless there is a dozen or so of UG sites, the ring may not look very
> appealing to casual visitors...

Ah, OK, so if we do not reach critical mass we should just do the usual
and provide links to each others' sites.

I was going to ask you to keep c.l.l. aware of growth in the site, then
I started wondering how hard a lispnik web crawler would be to
automatically publish a "what's new on the Lisp WWW".

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
  http://www.tilton-technology.com/
"Cells let us walk, talk, think, make love and realize
  the bath water is cold." -- Lorraine Lee Cudmore
From: Tibor Simko
On Tue, 04 Mar 2003, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Ah, OK, so if we do not reach critical mass we should just do the
> usual and provide links to each others' sites.

Yup, probably, and <http://alu.cliki.net/Local> is a good meeting
place for these sort of things...

> I was going to ask you to keep c.l.l. aware of growth in the site,
> then I started wondering how hard a lispnik web crawler would be to
> automatically publish a "what's new on the Lisp WWW".

Any takers? ;-)
From: Janis Dzerins
Tibor Simko <···········@cern.ch> writes:

> > I was going to ask you to keep c.l.l. aware of growth in the site,
> > then I started wondering how hard a lispnik web crawler would be to
> > automatically publish a "what's new on the Lisp WWW".
>
> Any takers? ;-)

What's so funny?  I have written a web crawler in CL.  Could even
consider this project.  If I only had more free time...

--
Janis Dzerins

  If million people say a stupid thing, it's still a stupid thing.
From: Kenny Tilton
Janis Dzerins wrote:
> I have written a web crawler in CL.  Could even
> consider this project.  If I only had more free time...

Is a project like this easier with sites actively cooperating with the
crawler, or at least structuring their sites.... or is this just
dinosaur-think? Maybe the crawler just dumps everything it fonds ala
Google (tho it's claim to fame is presenting "what I meant" early, so
now we have to get into ransking...)...

From: Tibor Simko
On Wed, 05 Mar 2003, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Is a project like this easier with sites actively cooperating with
> the crawler, or at least structuring their sites....

Well you wanted to produce a "what's new" sort of thing, so provided
that we agree upon, say, RSS news feed[1] or somesuch that each UG
site would provide, then the crawler could just grab the news,
assemble them into a web page, or otherwise manipulate them as
appropriate.

But do we expect that much news announcements from our UG sites, to
boot?  I'm not sure.  It may be interesting to generalize the "what's
new" idea to include all CL sites with RSS news feed, such as
<http://lemonodor.com/>, which would make the final result much more
interesting, I think.

Footnotes:
[1] A nice side-effect of RSS news feed would be the ability to read
    the news directly in Gnus.
From: Peter Seibel

> If other groups do the same (perhaps benefitting from others' work
> on the Web site or even sharing space on a server), it seems like we
> can use the Web to make something greater than the sum of the bars,
> by linking all these Lisp advocacy sites.

FWIW, I was chatting with a friend about Lisp advocacy the other day
and we noticed the lispniks.com domain was available so I went ahead
and registered it. See a splash page here: <http://www.lispniks.com>.
If folks have ideas for what might go there, let me know. I was
thinking general Lisp advocacy including but not necessarily limited
to the burgeoning world-wide Lispniks Bar Hopping Movement. I'd like
to find a way to complement the other Lisp advocacy sites such as the
ALU's.

-Peter

  The intellectual level needed   for  system design is  in  general
  grossly  underestimated. I am  convinced  more than ever that this
  type of work is very difficult and that every effort to do it with
  other than the best people is doomed to either failure or moderate
  success at enormous expense. --Edsger Dijkstra