From: M. K.
Subject: I/O stream to system command ?
Hi,

How do I execute a system command (eg. "/usr/bin/ftp" ) and create an
I/O stream to that commands stdout/stdin ?

Thanks, M.K.
From: Henrik Motakef
Subject: Re: I/O stream to system command ?
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:22:36 +1000, M. K. wrote:

> How do I execute a system command (eg. "/usr/bin/ftp" ) and create an I/O
> stream to that commands stdout/stdin ?

This is not part of the ANSI CL standard, and therefore depends on the
implementation you use. You could look at the "port" library from clocc
(http://clocc.sourceforge.net), it includes a wrapper around the
individual interfaces.

If you use sbcl or cmucl, it is called RUN-PROGRAM (use `(documentation
'run-program 'function)' for a description, or see the manual), clisp
seems to have such a function, too. You will probably find what you r Lisp
uses with apropos, "program" and "shell" seem to be useful things to
search for.