From: Peter Seibel
Subject: My .sig Lisp marketing campaign is working!
Props to John Fraser for coming up with the catchy line I've
appropriated for my .sig. It helped Lisp get a tiny bit of play in
some of the post-JavaOne commentary. Okay, so it's pretty small
potatoes. But adopting a Tiltonesque optimism, I figure every little
bit helps.

  <http://www.sauria.com/blog?q=grosso>
  <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3301>

-Peter

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: My .sig Lisp marketing campaign is working!
Peter Seibel wrote:
> Props to John Fraser for coming up with the catchy line I've
> appropriated for my .sig. It helped Lisp get a tiny bit of play in
> some of the post-JavaOne commentary. Okay, so it's pretty small
> potatoes. But adopting a Tiltonesque optimism, I figure every little
> bit helps.
>
>   <http://www.sauria.com/blog?q=grosso>
>   <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3301>

Excellent. This could be bigger than Bruce Lee's endorsement.

:)

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc
From: Anton van Straaten
Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Peter Seibel wrote:
> > Props to John Fraser for coming up with the catchy line I've
> > appropriated for my .sig. It helped Lisp get a tiny bit of play in
> > some of the post-JavaOne commentary. Okay, so it's pretty small
> > potatoes. But adopting a Tiltonesque optimism, I figure every little
> > bit helps.
> >
> >   <http://www.sauria.com/blog?q=grosso>
> >   <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3301>
> >

> Excellent. This could be bigger than Bruce Lee's endorsement.
>
> :)

As a matter of historical record, I'd like to point out that a certain
"actor", who once played Bruce Lee in an "Off-Off-Fuggedaboutit-Broadway"
production, has a prior claim on a more specific version of that .sig, from
way back in 2001:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4BTU7.7795%24PO5.1400635%40newsread1.pr
od.itd.earthlink.net

It was a one-off, prompted by a comment by David Rush, which I probably
would have forgotten all about, if David's sigmonster hadn't slurped it up
and put it to work...

Anton
From: Kenny X Tilton
Anton van Straaten wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>>Peter Seibel wrote:
>>
>>>Props to John Fraser for coming up with the catchy line I've
>>>appropriated for my .sig. It helped Lisp get a tiny bit of play in
>>>some of the post-JavaOne commentary. Okay, so it's pretty small
>>>potatoes. But adopting a Tiltonesque optimism, I figure every little
>>>bit helps.
>>>
>>>  <http://www.sauria.com/blog?q=grosso>
>>>  <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3301>
>>>

>>Excellent. This could be bigger than Bruce Lee's endorsement.
>>
>>:)
>

> As a matter of historical record, I'd like to point out that a certain
> "actor", who once played Bruce Lee in an "Off-Off-Fuggedaboutit-Broadway"
> production, has a prior claim on a more specific version of that .sig, from
> way back in 2001:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4BTU7.7795%24PO5.1400635%40newsread1.pr
> od.itd.earthlink.net
>
> It was a one-off, prompted by a comment by David Rush, which I probably
> would have forgotten all about, if David's sigmonster hadn't slurped it up
> and put it to work...
>
> Anton

The link did not work, but Google did:

>>david rush
>>(who has just watched _the matrix_ for the first time and is feeling
>>pretty radicalized just at the moment)
>
> I'm sure those who've served on language standardization committees must
> have often wished for a trenchcoat full of automatic weaponry...
>
> Anton
> Scheme: Because it *is* the red pill...

OK, this is scary.

Kenny (posting for the first time from Linux!)

PS. Do you really think that is Scheme you are coding? :)
From: Edi Weitz
Kenny X Tilton <···············@nyc.rr.com> writes:

> Kenny (posting for the first time from Linux!)

Congratulations! But now you should do the real thing and drop Mozilla
in favor of Gnus... :)

Edi.
From: David Steuber
Edi Weitz <···@agharta.de> writes:

> Kenny X Tilton <···············@nyc.rr.com> writes:
>
> > Kenny (posting for the first time from Linux!)
>
> Congratulations! But now you should do the real thing and drop Mozilla
> in favor of Gnus... :)

For some reason, Mozilla's news reader wouldn't work properly with my
ISP's news server.  I don't really mind though.  GNUS is so much
better.

--
One Editor to rule them all.  One Editor to find them,
One Editor to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

(do ((a 1 b) (b 1 (+ a b))) (nil a) (print a))
From: Anton van Straaten
> > Anton
> > Scheme: Because it *is* the red pill...
>
> OK, this is scary.
>
> Kenny (posting for the first time from Linux!)
>
> PS. Do you really think that is Scheme you are coding? :)

I can tell I'm coding in Scheme because when I do, the entire world around
me appears as a matrix of glowing green lambdas flowing from top to
bottom...

Anton

P.S. Anyone who hacks up a screensaver based on the above description has to
send me a copy!
From: MJ Ray
Anton van Straaten <·····@appsolutions.com> wrote:
> I can tell I'm coding in Scheme because when I do, the entire world around
> me appears as a matrix of glowing green lambdas flowing from top to
> bottom...

Try to cut down on the amount of meths in the milk, Anton.  We'd
hate to lose such a talented coder to alcohol poisoning, I'm sure.
;-)

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   ·············@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."
From: David Van Horn
"Anton van Straaten" <·····@appsolutions.com> wrote in message news:<·······················@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

> I can tell I'm coding in Scheme because when I do, the entire world around
> me appears as a matrix of glowing green lambdas flowing from top to
> bottom...

Flowing from top to bottom!?  What type of program is that?

-d
From: Coby Beck
"Anton van Straaten" <·····@appsolutions.com> wrote in message
···························@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
> > Peter Seibel wrote:
> > > Props to John Fraser for coming up with the catchy line I've
> > > appropriated for my .sig. It helped Lisp get a tiny bit of play in
> > > some of the post-JavaOne commentary. Okay, so it's pretty small
> > > potatoes. But adopting a Tiltonesque optimism, I figure every little
> > > bit helps.
> > >
> > >   <http://www.sauria.com/blog?q=grosso>
> > >   <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3301>
> > >

> > Excellent. This could be bigger than Bruce Lee's endorsement.
> >
> > :)
>
> As a matter of historical record, I'd like to point out that a certain
> "actor", who once played Bruce Lee in an "Off-Off-Fuggedaboutit-Broadway"
> production, has a prior claim on a more specific version of that .sig,
from
> way back in 2001:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4BTU7.7795%24PO5.1400635%40newsread1.pr
> od.itd.earthlink.net

Well, thanks to the wonders of google, try this:

Jeff Regan in comp.lang.eiffel
"Be advised that learning Eiffel is like taking the red pill, and ignoring
it is like taking the blue pill."

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8m6tit%24a3l%40gap.cco.caltech.edu

I guess it depends on your pharmacist!

--
Coby Beck
From: Anton van Straaten
Coby Beck wrote:
> Well, thanks to the wonders of google, try this:
>
> Jeff Regan in comp.lang.eiffel
> "Be advised that learning Eiffel is like taking the red pill, and ignoring
> it is like taking the blue pill."
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8m6tit%24a3l%40gap.cco.caltech.edu
>
> I guess it depends on your pharmacist!

I've seen the Eiffel pill - it's more of a maroon color, and taking it
induces a tendency to see everything in terms of subclass relationships...

Anton