From: M. K.
Subject: Hyperspec question?
I visited Function FORMAT in the Hyperspec to see if I could find a list
of directives (following a ~) that I can use in the control-string but
could not find what I was looking for.

Can anyone direct me to the page that lists all the directives I can use
after a ~ ?

Thanks, M.K.

From: Kent M Pitman
Subject: Re: Hyperspec question?
"M. K." <····@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> I visited Function FORMAT in the Hyperspec to see if I could find a list
> of directives (following a ~) that I can use in the control-string but
> could not find what I was looking for.
>
> Can anyone direct me to the page that lists all the directives I can use
> after a ~ ?

There's no page of CLHS with a formal list per se, but if you have a
HyperSpec that is version 5 or greater (the release number is in the
HTML near the top of every page, do "view source" in your browser),
then if you go to the Master Index on the Non-Alphabetic page and
search for entries starting with ~ you will find them all listed
there.  Version 5 and above of CLHS also have all the # readmacros
listed in the master index.  This is the only really substantive
change that has ever been made to the HyperSpec in its various
versions.
From: M. K.
Do you have a web address for the most recent version of the on-line
Hyperspec?

Thanks for your help, M.K.

---

From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
"M. K." <····@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message ······················@ozemail.com.au...
> I visited Function FORMAT in the Hyperspec to see if I could find a list
> of directives (following a ~) that I can use in the control-string but
> could not find what I was looking for.
>
> Can anyone direct me to the page that lists all the directives I can use
> after a ~ ?

The link to the page is about halfway down the description of FORMAT and
labelled, "22.3 Formatted Output". It leads to...

http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec/Body/22_c.htm

--
Geoff
From: Jock Cooper
"M. K." <····@ozemail.com.au> writes:

> I visited Function FORMAT in the Hyperspec to see if I could find a list
> of directives (following a ~) that I can use in the control-string but
> could not find what I was looking for.
>
> Can anyone direct me to the page that lists all the directives I can use
> after a ~ ?
>
> Thanks, M.K.

The book "ANSI Common Lisp" by Paul Graham has a nice compact reference
section at the end, and it is especially nice for FORMAT because it
lists all the format directives in a few pages.

------
Jock Cooper
http://www.fractal-recursions.com