From: thelifter
Subject: Reply:  Is there a Doom Game Engine Written in Lisp ???
Hello,

sorry that I delayed my answer, the original thread got overwhelmed
with comments
about the license(GPL or otherwise) so I lost interest in posting
there.

Personally I would recommend using Scheme instead of Common Lisp for
several reasons:

1. Scheme will give you all advantages that Common Lisp will give you,
like more powerful abstractions, etc.... and additionally:
2. There are much more Scheme implementations available, many of them
free. This makes it easy to port to different architectures, etc...
There are already several implementations that generate Java byte code
like Kawa, Jscheme,etc... On todays machines the Java virtual machine
is fast enough to run a Doom like engine smoothly. You probably could
even run your Doom engine on Java enabled Cellphones.
3. Keep in mind that Scheme and CL are just two implementations of
Lisp with different philosophies:
-CL put every thing into the language.
-Scheme keep the language simple, put the rest into libraries.

Just my 0.5$
PS. please dont start another licensing discussion here!
From: Julian St.
·········@gmx.net (thelifter) writes:

> Hello,
>
> sorry that I delayed my answer, the original thread got overwhelmed
> with comments
> about the license(GPL or otherwise) so I lost interest in posting
> there.

Understandable.

> 2. There are much more Scheme implementations available, many of them
> free. This makes it easy to port to different architectures, etc...
> There are already several implementations that generate Java byte code
> like Kawa, Jscheme,etc... On todays machines the Java virtual machine
> is fast enough to run a Doom like engine smoothly.

You mean that today's Java VMs (running on GHz CPUs) are capable of
running an engine that ran on my old 386DX 40MHz with 4 MB RAM...

> You probably could
> even run your Doom engine on Java enabled Cellphones.

I've seen it work on my TI-89. :)

Regards,
Julian
--