From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Common-Lisp-POSIX on cliki
I've posted a  couple of pages about Specifications of  a SUSv3 API in
Common-Lisp on cliki:

    http://www.cliki.net/Common-Lisp-POSIX

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.

From: Nikodemus Siivola
Subject: Re: Common-Lisp-POSIX on cliki
Pascal Bourguignon <····@thalassa.informatimago.com> wrote:

> I've posted a  couple of pages about Specifications of  a SUSv3 API in
> Common-Lisp on cliki:

Are you aware of Daniel Barlow's efforts in similar direction? I see no
reference to his proposal or the related discussion that happened here --
so I am wondering if you are aware that is exists.

  http://alu.cliki.net/com-metacircles-posix

Also, have you considered using a non-authoritative name for this? If so,
than would you like to link your proposal here:

  http://alu.cliki.net/Standard

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus
From: Daniel Barlow

Nikodemus Siivola <········@kekkonen.cs.hut.fi> writes:
> Are you aware of Daniel Barlow's efforts in similar direction? I see no
> reference to his proposal or the related discussion that happened here --

I see no reference to my proposal there either, but I do see large
chunks of text which appear to have been copied and pasted from it
verbatim <http://www.cliki.net/cl-posix-generalities>, which I think
is either a truly incredible coincidence or a pretty good indication
that Pascal is aware of it.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Daniel Barlow <···@telent.net> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <····@thalassa.informatimago.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I've posted a  couple of pages about Specifications of  a SUSv3 API in
> >> Common-Lisp on cliki:
> >
> Nikodemus Siivola <········@kekkonen.cs.hut.fi> writes:
> > Are you aware of Daniel Barlow's efforts in similar direction? I see no
> > reference to his proposal or the related discussion that happened here --
>
> I see no reference to my proposal there either, but I do see large
> chunks of text which appear to have been copied and pasted from it
> verbatim <http://www.cliki.net/cl-posix-generalities>, which I think
> is either a truly incredible coincidence or a pretty good indication
> that Pascal is aware of it.

Indeed, as  noted at  the beginning, I  took notes from  the newsgroup
discussion about it.

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Nikodemus Siivola <········@kekkonen.cs.hut.fi> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon <····@thalassa.informatimago.com> wrote:
>
> > I've posted a  couple of pages about Specifications of  a SUSv3 API in
> > Common-Lisp on cliki:
>
> Are you aware of Daniel Barlow's efforts in similar direction? I see no
> reference to his proposal or the related discussion that happened here --
> so I am wondering if you are aware that is exists.
>
>   http://alu.cliki.net/com-metacircles-posix

Well,  before inserting  my  pages in  http://www.cliki.net,  I did  a
search on posix  and since it did not return  anything, I assumed that
there  was  nothing   in  this  cliki  about  a   POSIX  interface  in
Common-Lisp.

How  could I  have  guessed that  there  was an  alternative cliki  on
alu.cliki.net?

Why aren't their search motors linked?

On ALU CLiki, the page are marked with a "This is a test site."
What does that mean?

Should we use www.cliki.net or alu.cliki.net?

> Also, have you considered using a non-authoritative name for this? If so,
> than would you like to link your proposal here:
>
>   http://alu.cliki.net/Standard

com-metacircle-posix:

    The scope of this interface is "operating system calls on a typical
    Unixlike platform".

    (in addition, the approach to the API is low-level FFI)

Common-Lisp-POSIX:

    The main purpose is to define a Common-Lisp SUSv3/POSIX API.

    (while here we want to specify a pure lisp API).

The objective is slightly more ambitious.  In the end, we could have a
document that  could be submited for  inclusion in the  suite of POSIX
languages API.

I use  the name  Common-Lisp-POSIX only as  a flag to  rally everybody
concerned.  No relation to the name of the packages.
See: http://www.cliki.net/cl-posix-generalities