From: David Steuber
Subject: Common Lisp HyperSpec
Is it possible to get the HyperSpec in info format for easier use in
Gnu Emacs?  Or are there packages that will allow you to look
something up in the HyperSpec from within Gnu Emacs?

Example:  I would like to be able to put the cursor over a keyword
and use some short key combination to pull up the HyperSpec reference
on that word.

--
One Editor to rule them all.  One Editor to find them,
One Editor to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

From: Bjørn Nordbø
Subject: Re: Common Lisp HyperSpec
David Steuber <·············@verizon.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to get the HyperSpec in info format for easier use in
> Gnu Emacs?  Or are there packages that will allow you to look
> something up in the HyperSpec from within Gnu Emacs?

For me, w3 works fine on the HTML version. It's reasonably fast and
handles good. Of course, the hyperlinks works fine.

> Example:  I would like to be able to put the cursor over a keyword
> and use some short key combination to pull up the HyperSpec reference
> on that word.

RET; can hardly get any shorter than that. :-)

This should work if you have w3 installed on your system.

(require 'w3)
(setq browse-url-browser-function '(("." . browse-url-w3)))

--
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off
the shores of the Nonestic Ocean. I watched magic blunderbusses flash
From: Nikodemus Siivola
David Steuber <·············@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is it possible to get the HyperSpec in info format for easier use in
> Gnu Emacs?  Or are there packages that will allow you to look
> something up in the HyperSpec from within Gnu Emacs?

From ILISP info:

`<C-z> H   (hyperspec-lookup)'
     Look up a standard symbol in the Common Lisp HyperSpec and display
     the relevant section.

The actual prefix key depends on other ILISP settings, though. Also,
you'll probably want something like this in you .emacs:

 (setq browse-url-browser-function #'browse-url-galeon)

'M-x apropos browse-url' to see what is available.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus
From: Björn Lindberg
David Steuber <·············@verizon.net> writes:

> Is it possible to get the HyperSpec in info format for easier use in
> Gnu Emacs?  Or are there packages that will allow you to look
> something up in the HyperSpec from within Gnu Emacs?
>
> Example:  I would like to be able to put the cursor over a keyword
> and use some short key combination to pull up the HyperSpec reference
> on that word.

I asked almost the exact same question here recently. The answers
prompted me to install w3m and emacs-w3m. Now when I press C-z H in
Ilisp a w3m (a browser) opens up inside emacs with the corresponding
Hyperspec entry.

See the thread starting with ···············@knatte.nada.kth.se.

I higly recommend this, it is much more convenient than using an
external browser.

Bj�rn
From: David Steuber
·······@nada.kth.se (Bj�rn Lindberg) writes:

> I higly recommend this, it is much more convenient than using an
> external browser.

Thanks all.

Using an external browser is exactly what I want to avoid.  Getting
help on a keyword in my buffer is exactly what I want to have.

From: Björn Lindberg
David Steuber <·············@verizon.net> writes:

> ·······@nada.kth.se (Bj�rn Lindberg) writes:
>
> > I higly recommend this, it is much more convenient than using an
> > external browser.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Using an external browser is exactly what I want to avoid.  Getting
> help on a keyword in my buffer is exactly what I want to have.

Yes. The only thing I'm still having trouble figuring out is how to
get the w3m buffer to open up in another (already existing) frame, or
in a window. Daniel Jensen suggested a way to get it to open up in a
new window, but that is not enough for me, since it will /always/
split up the existing window. I'd like it to work similar to the
compile command for C/C++ mode. It will split the current window, but
only if the compilation buffer is not already visible in a window or
frame. If it is, then that is used, and no new window (or frame) is
opened. The advantage of this is that then you can have the w3m buffer
be always visible, and moving to different entries in the hyperspec by
doing C-z H in a window or frame next to it. I'm not elisp guru enough
to figure out how to get this behaviour, but I may look at it some
more.

Bj�rn
From: Ingvar Mattsson
·······@nada.kth.se (Bj�rn Lindberg) writes:

[SNIP, hypersepc docs turn up in inconvenient windows, musing on how
 to make it act more like the compilation trace buffer ]

It is probably possible building something on top of window-list,
using window-buffer, checking for the/a w3 buffer to use.

//Ingvar
--
(defun p(i d)(cond((not i)(terpri))((car i)(let((l(cadr i))(d(nthcdr(car i)d
)))(princ(elt(string(car d))l))(p(cddr i)d)))(t(princ #\space)(p(cdr i)d))))
From: Daniel Jensen
·······@nada.kth.se (Bj�rn Lindberg) writes:

> David Steuber <·············@verizon.net> writes:
>
>> Using an external browser is exactly what I want to avoid.  Getting
>> help on a keyword in my buffer is exactly what I want to have.
>
> Yes. The only thing I'm still having trouble figuring out is how to
> get the w3m buffer to open up in another (already existing) frame, or
> in a window. Daniel Jensen suggested a way to get it to open up in a
> new window, but that is not enough for me, since it will /always/
> split up the existing window. I'd like it to work similar to the
> compile command for C/C++ mode. It will split the current window, but
> only if the compilation buffer is not already visible in a window or
> frame. If it is, then that is used, and no new window (or frame) is
> opened. The advantage of this is that then you can have the w3m buffer
> be always visible, and moving to different entries in the hyperspec by
> doing C-z H in a window or frame next to it. I'm not elisp guru enough
> to figure out how to get this behaviour, but I may look at it some
> more.

Well, I realized this after I posted it, but since no-one complained,
I forgot about it.  Anyway, here's a fix for you, a slightly modified
version of `w3m-browse-url'.  There may be an easier way to do it; if
you find it, let me know.

(defun w3m-browse-url-other-window (url &optional arg)
  "Browse URL with w3m, use other window."
  (interactive
   (browse-url-interactive-arg "w3m URL: "))
  (when (stringp url)
    (let ((buffer (get-buffer "*w3m*")))
      (switch-to-buffer-other-window (if buffer buffer (current-buffer)))
      (w3m-goto-url url))))

--
Daniel Jensen
From: Johan Bockgård
·······@nada.kth.se (Bj�rn Lindberg) writes:

> Yes. The only thing I'm still having trouble figuring out is how to
> get the w3m buffer to open up in another (already existing) frame

(info "(emacs)Special Buffer Frames")

        You can make certain chosen buffers, for which Emacs normally
        creates a second window when you have just one window, appear
        in special frames of their own.
        [...]
        These frames, and the windows in them, are never automatically
        split or reused for any other buffers.

> I'm not elisp guru enough to figure out how to get this behaviour,
> but I may look at it some more.

(info "(elisp)Choosing Window") for the guru.

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 8408 day of my life David Steuber wrote:
> Is it possible to get the HyperSpec in info format for easier use in
> Gnu Emacs?

gcl.info.tgz from gcl FTP server (Google is your friend).

> Or are there packages that will allow you to look something up in
> the HyperSpec from within Gnu Emacs?

ILISP has such a feature -- see other replies.

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                                                  Your bytes are bitten.