From: Ignas Mikalajunas
Subject: How to pass command line arguments to a lisp program ?
I am using cmucl or  sbcl,clisp(sometimes) is there any way to pass
command line arguments to my program like a list of files to process
and etc.
   Ignas Mikalajunas

From: Jeremy Yallop
Ignas Mikalajunas wrote:
> I am using cmucl or  sbcl,clisp(sometimes) is there any way to pass
> command line arguments to my program like a list of files to process
> and etc.

extensions:*command-line-strings* (cmucl, sbcl) and ext:*args*
(clisp) contain the arguments passed on the command line.

Jeremy.
From: Nikodemus Siivola
Ignas Mikalajunas <······@centras.lt> wrote:
> I am using cmucl or  sbcl,clisp(sometimes) is there any way to pass
> command line arguments to my program like a list of files to process

Yes, rtfm:

 CMUCL

   http://cvs2.cons.org/ftp-area/cmucl/doc/cmu-user/unix.html#toc213

 SBCL (unofficial location)

  http://www.xach.com/sbcl/doc/extensions.html#AEN702

 CLISP

  http://clisp.cons.org/clisp.html#opt-exec-file

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus
From: Drew McDermott
Ignas Mikalajunas wrote:
> I am using cmucl or  sbcl,clisp(sometimes) is there any way to pass
> command line arguments to my program like a list of files to process
> and etc.
>    Ignas Mikalajunas

Judging from this and your previous question, I gather that you want
Lisp programs to be called the way C programs are called.  There is
another way to approach this issue that is much more natural in Lisp,
namely:

      Treat Lisp as a shell.

Just crank Lisp up and leave it running.  Instead of writing

$ myprog -s -f foo a1.txt a3 a14.lst

write

 > (myprog '("a1.txt" a "a14.lst") :s t :f 'foo)

When 'myprog' finishes, the Lisp "shell" is still running, and you can
call other programs from it.  Meanwhile, "command line" arguments have
morphed into ... ordinary, garden-variety arguments.

If you really want to be fanatic about it, you can probably dig up a
Lisp program someone wrote that allows you to use Lisp as your _only_
shell.  For instance, it wouldn't be hard to define a 'pipe' macro so
you could write

 > (pipe (ls b*) (grep "fribble"))

instead of

$ ls b* | grep "fribble" -

(Warning: these examples are completely meaningless; make no attempt to
assign meanings to them!)

    -- Drew McDermott
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Drew McDermott <··················@at.yale.dot.edu> writes:

> Ignas Mikalajunas wrote:
> > I am using cmucl or  sbcl,clisp(sometimes) is there any way to pass
> > command line arguments to my program like a list of files to process
> > and etc.
> >    Ignas Mikalajunas
>
> Judging from this and your previous question, I gather that you want
> Lisp programs to be called the way C programs are called.  There is
> another way to approach this issue that is much more natural in Lisp,
> namely:
>
>       Treat Lisp as a shell.
>
> Just crank Lisp up and leave it running.  Instead of writing
>
> $ myprog -s -f foo a1.txt a3 a14.lst
>
> write
>
>  > (myprog '("a1.txt" a "a14.lst") :s t :f 'foo)
>
> When 'myprog' finishes, the Lisp "shell" is still running, and you can
> call other programs from it.  Meanwhile, "command line" arguments have
> morphed into ... ordinary, garden-variety arguments.
>
> If you really want to be fanatic about it, you can probably dig up a
> Lisp program someone wrote that allows you to use Lisp as your _only_
> shell.  For instance, it wouldn't be hard to define a 'pipe' macro so
> you could write
>
>  > (pipe (ls b*) (grep "fribble"))
>
> instead of
>
> $ ls b* | grep "fribble" -

scsh

clisp can be  configured as a shell too. There's  a web page somewhere
showing how you can add a syntax to easily call external programs from
clisp as a shell.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.
From: Dave Pearson

<URL:http://www.cliki.net/CLISP-Shell>

--
Dave Pearson