From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: A funny thing about logical pathname namestrings.
The  syntax of logical  pathname namestrings  specifies that  the only
characters valid in words  (or wildcard-words) are UPPER CASE letters,
digits and dash (and star in wildcards).

But at the same time, the version may be written both in lower case or
upper case: 'newest' or 'NEWEST'. :-)

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.
From: Daniel Barlow
Pascal Bourguignon <ยทยทยทยท@thalassa.informatimago.com> writes:

> The  syntax of logical  pathname namestrings  specifies that  the only
> characters valid in words  (or wildcard-words) are UPPER CASE letters,
> digits and dash (and star in wildcards).
>
> But at the same time, the version may be written both in lower case or
> upper case: 'newest' or 'NEWEST'. :-)

   19.3.1.1.7 Lowercase Letters in a Logical Pathname Namestring

   When parsing words and wildcard-words, lowercase letters are
   translated to uppercase.

Interestingly, that refers only to namestrings, not to components as
supplied to make-pathname.  I'd hope that a similar conversion is done
to them, though I can't find anything that mandates it.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources