From: Lowell
Subject: coming to Common Lisp from Scheme
I am having trouble making the move from Scheme to CL. Most of my
difficulties arise from different namespaces for functions and other
values. Can anyone recommend a good (on-line) reference that explains
the details of CL's double namespace and related fuctions such as
funcall? Any tutorial named something like "CL for Scheme users" would
be good as well.

Thanks in advance,
Lowell

From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Re: coming to Common Lisp from Scheme
Lowell <······@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> I am having trouble making the move from Scheme to CL. Most of my
> difficulties arise from different namespaces for functions and other
> values. Can anyone recommend a good (on-line) reference that explains
> the details of CL's double namespace and related fuctions such as
> funcall? Any tutorial named something like "CL for Scheme users" would
> be good as well.

Well, it's not exactly a tutorial, but Paul Graham's book _ANSI Common Lisp_
is, in my opinion, a great book for helping to make just that transition.

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
From: Karl A. Krueger
Lowell <······@cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> I am having trouble making the move from Scheme to CL. Most of my
> difficulties arise from different namespaces for functions and other
> values. Can anyone recommend a good (on-line) reference that explains
> the details of CL's double namespace and related fuctions such as
> funcall? Any tutorial named something like "CL for Scheme users" would
> be good as well.

Sections 5.2, 5.3.1, and 7.3 of Steele's CLTL2 may be just what you are
looking for.  It's available both online and in book form.  The master
copy at CMU seems to be down, but the list of mirrors is up.

CLTL2 mirrors list:  http://tinyurl.com/dw84

Several of the mirrors are down as well.  The ones at Linkoeping and
Supelec are up.  The downloadable tarball at CMU is also up:

CLTL2 tarball:  http://tinyurl.com/dw8q

You might also find Lamkins' Successful Lisp worth reading.  It is a
remarkable combination of readable and comprehensive.

Successful Lisp:  http://psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html

--
Karl A. Krueger <········@example.edu>
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
From: Wade Humeniuk
"Lowell" <······@cs.ubc.ca> wrote in message ·················@mughi.cs.ubc.ca...
> I am having trouble making the move from Scheme to CL. Most of my
> difficulties arise from different namespaces for functions and other
> values. Can anyone recommend a good (on-line) reference that explains
> the details of CL's double namespace and related fuctions such as
> funcall? Any tutorial named something like "CL for Scheme users" would
> be good as well.

You have come across a general problem with all learning.  That is
putting the new thing you are learning in the frame of reference of
what you currently know.  Knowing in theory how CL multiple
namespace works (using Scheme as a reference) will not get
you very far.  You must get to know CL by actually using it.
My suggestion is to forget about what you think you know
about namespaces and just code some CL the best you
can, I garauntee that your brain will re-wire itself with
enough exposure.

Wade