From: Lowell
Subject: most basic configuration needed to run CL in emacs
I have been fiddling with emacs with ilisp and clisp. The learning curve
is seeming steep and all I want to do is to get lisp runnig from within
emacs with minimal extra functionality (i.e. I don't want to learn the
details about ilisp just yet). Can anyone tell me what is the minimal
amount of configuration that I need to put in my .emacs file to get
clisp running? Or, does anyone know of any sites that explain how to set
up CL with emacs *without* ilisp?

Lowell

From: Sam Zoghaib
Lowell wrote in article <············@mughi.cs.ubc.ca> on Tuesday 29 July 2003
09:25 in comp.lang.lisp:

> I have been fiddling with emacs with ilisp and clisp. The learning curve
> is seeming steep and all I want to do is to get lisp runnig from within
> emacs with minimal extra functionality (i.e. I don't want to learn the
> details about ilisp just yet). Can anyone tell me what is the minimal
> amount of configuration that I need to put in my .emacs file to get
> clisp running?

The minimal lisp environment you have in Emacs is inferior-lisp.
M-x run-lisp or M-x inferior-lisp should do it. Basically you'll get your lisp
environment in an emacs buffer.

Note that ilisp is not hard to use and *really* worth it. You can hack your
code in a buffer while evaluating it in another one. You can re-evaluate only
your changes. Definitely worth the few KB of brain you'll use to memorize the
keybindings :-)

HTH,
Sam
--
"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not rightly owned if it is
 not shared."

    - St Augustine
From: Lowell
Thanks. My problem of the minute is that there is something wrong with
my ilisp/emacs setup and it won't allow me to load a particular piece of
code. What do I need to include in my .emacs to run clisp with ilisp?

From: Sam Zoghaib
Lowell wrote in article <············@mughi.cs.ubc.ca> on Tuesday 29 July 2003
09:40 in comp.lang.lisp:

> Thanks. My problem of the minute is that there is something wrong with
> my ilisp/emacs setup and it won't allow me to load a particular piece of
> code. What do I need to include in my .emacs to run clisp with ilisp?

Well, you don't have to add anything to make it work, but you may want to add
hooks to to automagically use ilisp when editing lisp files.
Everything should be explained in the documentation.

If you're using a Debian system, it's preconfigured. You don't have to do
anything; edit your lisp code and use M-x run-ilisp to open a buffer with
your lisp environment.

Sam
--
"People sometimes ask me if it is a sin in the Church of Emacs to use vi.
 Using a free version of vi is not a sin; it's a penance".

        - Richard Stallman
From: Conrad Barski
> What do I need to include in my .emacs to run clisp with ilisp?

You may need something like:

(setq inferior-lisp-program "lisp.exe -M lispinit.mem")