From: Aozotorp
Subject: Re: Artificial intelligence (AI) has been solved

>http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/weblog.html "AI has been solved"

excerpt:

Mind.Forth
in Win32Forth for robots:

http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/mind4th.html
A robot needs a mind, and a Mind needs a robot.
Here is where the twain shall meet.

------------

Comments - Looks like a lot of programming data just to get a conservo to tie
his show right!

From: Arthur T. Murray
Subject: Artificial intelligence (AI) has been solved
>> http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/weblog.html "AI has been solved"
>
> excerpt:
>
> Mind.Forth
> in Win32Forth for robots:
>
> http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/mind4th.html
> A robot needs a mind, and a Mind needs a robot.
> Here is where the twain shall meet.
>
> ------------
>
> Comments - Looks like a lot of programming data
> just to get a conservo to tie his show right!

Any student or programmer interested in coding a new
species of AI Mind may create an AI Web page with the
source code of the main AI program loop based on the
highest-level top-down AI Mind modules described online at
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/M/ME/MENTIFEX/mind.txt (q.v.):

Name           Description
-------------  -------------------------------------------
AI::Mind::     Perl implementation of main AI Mind module.
::Sensorium    Audition; other human/robot input senses.
::Emotion      Quasi-physiological influence upon thought.
::Think        Syntax and vocabulary of natural languages.
::Volition     Contemplative selection of motor options.
::Motorium     Robotic activation of motor initiatives.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0595259227/ -- the AI textbook
that now replaces obsolete AI curricula (and at a much lower price :-)
will describe how Artificial Intelligence has been solved in three ways --

http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/theory5.html Concept-Fiber Theory of Mind;

http://mentifex.virtualentity.com/jsaimind.html Mind-1.1 AI source code; and

AI4U: Mind-1.1 Programmer's Manual and textbook of artificial
intelligence,
which has the following positive and negative points.

+ It describes the rapidly evolving AI Minds on the Web.
- It quickly becomes obsolete as the AI hyper-evolves.
+ On-demand publishing (ODP) makes for quick updates.
- The Mentifex project is considered oddball on the 'Net.
+ You've got the first book about the first real AI Mind.
- There are other, better, more authoritative AI textbooks.
+ AI4U makes a good supplement for actually coding AI.
- Artificial intelligence is too hard to understand.
+ AI4U describes the AI while it is still easy to learn.
- "I would rather build robots than study AI programming."
+ If you want to build a smart robot, then AI4U is for you.
- "I'm only a high school student/teacher; what's the use?"
+ This book will challenge even the most gifted student.
- "I am not a programmer and so I can't code AI."
+ AI4U teaches you how to operate an AI, not just code it.
- "I just want to do Web design, not artificial intelligence."
+ AI4U provides an AI that you may install on your website.
- "I am more interested in neuroscience and/or psychology."
+ AI4U teaches a theory of how the brain works psychologically.

Once any individual starts an AI Web page for a given language,
it is to be expected that others will code and share improvements.

For an expert review of the Concept-Fiber Theory of Mind, see
http://www.sl4.org/archive/0205/3829.html by Ben Goertzel, Ph.D.

The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) has an archive of
"Mind.Forth: thoughts on artificial intelligence and Forth" at
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/307824.307853 by Dr. Paul Frenger.
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler
Subject: Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=3

Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead ... Marvin Minsky

Scott Menchin

In his role as agent provocateur, Marvin Minsky, cofounder of the MIT
Artificial Intelligence Lab, recently told a surprised Boston
University audience that the field of AI has lost its way. Researchers
are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
reasoning. He took a break from dictating the final chapters of an
upcoming book into his G4 using ViaVoice software to give us his
thoughts on gray goo, bartender bots, and the importance of plain ol'
common sense.

.. snip ..

Internet trivia 20th anv http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm
From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:42:40 +0000, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=3
>
> Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead ... Marvin Minsky
>
> Scott Menchin
>
> In his role as agent provocateur, Marvin Minsky, cofounder of the MIT
> Artificial Intelligence Lab, recently told a surprised Boston
> University audience that the field of AI has lost its way. Researchers
> are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
> reasoning. He took a break from dictating the final chapters of an
> upcoming book into his G4 using ViaVoice software to give us his
> thoughts on gray goo, bartender bots, and the importance of plain ol'
> common sense.

It's kind of funny seeing the leader of the Old Guard referred to as an
"agent provocateur" when he's fighting a reargard action for old-school AI.

To say nothing of the irony of hearing him point out that other approaches
"are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
reasoning".  What does *his* preferred paradigm have to show for fifty
years of hard work?

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas
From: Robert J. Kolker
Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> reasoning".  What does *his* preferred paradigm have to show for fifty
> years of hard work?

Bubkis. Kadachis. Nechevo. Nada. Ayn Davar. Zip. Zero.

Bob Kolker

From: ·········@aol.com
In article <·····························@mail.utexas.edu>,
   "Bobby D. Bryant" <········@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:42:40 +0000, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
>
>> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=3
>>
>> Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead ... Marvin Minsky
>>
>> Scott Menchin
>>
>> In his role as agent provocateur, Marvin Minsky, cofounder of the MIT
>> Artificial Intelligence Lab, recently told a surprised Boston
>> University audience that the field of AI has lost its way. Researchers
>> are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
>> reasoning. He took a break from dictating the final chapters of an
>> upcoming book into his G4 using ViaVoice software to give us his
>> thoughts on gray goo, bartender bots, and the importance of plain ol'
>> common sense.
>
>It's kind of funny seeing the leader of the Old Guard referred to as an
>"agent provocateur" when he's fighting a reargard action for old-school
AI.

>To say nothing of the irony of hearing him point out that other approaches
>"are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
>reasoning".  What does *his* preferred paradigm have to show for fifty
>years of hard work?

Sigh!  The consraints.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
From: Simon Slavin
In article <·····························@mail.utexas.edu>,
"Bobby D. Bryant" <········@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>To say nothing of the irony of hearing him point out that other approaches
>"are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
>reasoning".  What does *his* preferred paradigm have to show for fifty
>years of hard work?

Minsky has never had one.  He's tried various approaches over
the years but he's never published anything that said that his
current project would definitely lead to something useful.
He's a downer, not an upper.
From: Kegwasher
Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=3
>
> Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead ... Marvin Minsky
>
> Scott Menchin
>
> In his role as agent provocateur, Marvin Minsky, cofounder of the MIT
> Artificial Intelligence Lab, recently told a surprised Boston
> University audience that the field of AI has lost its way. Researchers
> are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
> reasoning. He took a break from dictating the final chapters of an
> upcoming book into his G4 using ViaVoice software to give us his
> thoughts on gray goo, bartender bots, and the importance of plain ol  Wh '
> common sense.
>
> .. snip ..

I am still impressed with the works of D Hofstadter.  His book fluid
concepts is a good read.  I just want the algorithmic spell checker, sounds
to cool to be real.
From: Eternal Vigilance
Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=3
>
> Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead ... Marvin Minsky
>
> Scott Menchin
>
> In his role as agent provocateur, Marvin Minsky, cofounder of the MIT
> Artificial Intelligence Lab, recently told a surprised Boston
> University audience that the field of AI has lost its way. Researchers
> are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
> reasoning. He took a break from dictating the final chapters of an
> upcoming book into his G4 using ViaVoice software to give us his
> thoughts on gray goo, bartender bots, and the importance of plain ol'
> common sense.

Then the G4 took a dump and crashed, and he had never saved the document
once..

(Via Voice didnt impress me, wonder how long he had to train it before he
didnt
have to correct every other word and only had to every tenth....)

From: ·········@aol.com
In article <················@earthlink.net>,
   Anne & Lynn Wheeler <····@garlic.com> wrote:

>http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=3
>
>Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead ... Marvin Minsky
>
>Scott Menchin
>
>In his role as agent provocateur, Marvin Minsky, cofounder of the MIT
>Artificial Intelligence Lab, recently told a surprised Boston
>University audience that the field of AI has lost its way.

Good!  It's about time.

> ..Researchers
>are making little progress developing computers with any knack for
>reasoning. He took a break from dictating the final chapters of an
>upcoming book into his G4 using ViaVoice software to give us his
>thoughts on gray goo, bartender bots, and the importance of plain ol'
>common sense.

:-)

From: Lawson English
Of course, the BIGGEST irony is that all speech recognition software uses
variations of technology that he and Seymour Papert did their best to
discredit in "Perceptrons," back in the day when there was only a tiny
budget for AI grants available.

--
New definition of irony:

'Today's liberal Democrats are like the supporters of the Third Reich of the
'30's and '40's
- they absolutely trusted the government to "make things right". '
-Comment made on the internet by an ardent GW Bush supporter.

From: ·········@aol.com
In article <···········@slb5.atl.mindspring.net>,
   "Lawson English" <········@mindspring.com> wrote:

<pins>

Don't top post.

From: Honey
·········@aol.com wrote in message news:<············@bob.news.rcn.net>...
> In article <···········@slb5.atl.mindspring.net>,

top what?

From: ·········@aol.com
In article <····························@posting.google.com>,
   ···········@activeware.com (Honey) wrote:
>·········@aol.com wrote in message news:<············@bob.news.rcn.net>...
>> In article <···········@slb5.atl.mindspring.net>,
>>    "Lawson English" <········@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>

>top what?
>
>> <pins
>>
>> Don't top post.
>>
>> /BAH
>>
>> Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Another smartass.  You forget the r in your username.

From: Eternal Vigilance
Lawson English wrote:

> Of course, the BIGGEST irony is that all speech recognition software uses
> variations of technology that he and Seymour Papert did their best to
> discredit in "Perceptrons," back in the day when there was only a tiny
> budget for AI grants available.

No wonder the Speech Recog software is so lame -- cant do XOR logic patterns.

Anyone out there NOT have to correct their speech recog output at least 1 in 10
words ???

From: Eternal Vigilance
·········@aol.com wrote:

> In article <················@earthlink.net>,
>    Anne & Lynn Wheeler <····@garlic.com> wrote:
> >
> >http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=3
> >
> >Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead ... Marvin Minsky
> >
> >Scott Menchin
> >
> >In his role as agent provocateur, Marvin Minsky, cofounder of the MIT
> >Artificial Intelligence Lab, recently told a surprised Boston
> >University audience that the field of AI has lost its way.
>
> Good!  It's about time.

Isnt this a bit like  Robert McNamara  now saying that  the Vietnam War
was a mistake?????

From: ·········@aol.com
In article <·················@oneeye.com>,
   Eternal Vigilance <·····@oneeye.com> wrote:

>·········@aol.com wrote:
>
>> In article <················@earthlink.net>,
>>    Anne & Lynn Wheeler <····@garlic.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.08/view.html?pg=3
>> >
>> >Why A.I. Is Brain-Dead ... Marvin Minsky
>> >
>> >Scott Menchin
>> >
>> >In his role as agent provocateur, Marvin Minsky, cofounder of the MIT
>> >Artificial Intelligence Lab, recently told a surprised Boston
>> >University audience that the field of AI has lost its way.
>>
>> Good!  It's about time.
>>

>Isnt this a bit like  Robert McNamara  now saying that  the Vietnam War
>was a mistake?????

<snip>

Nope.

From: Eternal Vigilance
Sorry I beat AI race long time ago (7 years),

I just tissue culture grow mutant rabbit brains with pre-installed LAN port --
works great*....
(* the robots tend to hop though...)

From: Don Stockbauer
Eternal Vigilance <·····@oneeye.com> wrote in message news:<·················@oneeye.com>...
> Sorry I beat AI race long time ago (7 years),
>
> I just tissue culture grow mutant rabbit brains with pre-installed LAN port --
> works great*....
> (* the robots tend to hop though...)

And what are they useful for?  Eating virtual mutant carrots?????
From: Eternal Vigilance
Im talkin bout real brain tissue....

Just keep adding the sugar solution and it computes...

I conditioned it to drive my car for example, (took me a while to get it to drive on right side
of road -- must of been English rabbit gene stock...)