From: Lowell
Subject: Trouble loading code from AI: A Modern Approach book
I am having trouble loading the code from the Russell/Norvig book into
Clisp. When I type (load "aima.lisp") at the top level, I get the
following error:

[2]> (load "aima.lisp")
*** - STRING-EQUAL: argument #P".lisp" should be a string, a symbol or a
character

Can anyone decipher this error message and help me get the code running?

Thanks,
Lowell

[ comp.ai is moderated.  To submit, just post and be patient, or if ]
[ that fails mail your article to <·······@moderators.isc.org>, and ]
[ ask your news administrator to fix the problems with your system. ]

From: E. Blood
Lowell <······@cs.ubc.ca> writes:
> I am having trouble loading the code from the Russell/Norvig book into
> Clisp. When I type (load "aima.lisp") at the top level, I get the
> following error:
>
> [2]> (load "aima.lisp")
> *** - STRING-EQUAL: argument #P".lisp" should be a string, a symbol or a
> character

I just tried it with clisp 2.29 and there was no problem.

   /tmp
   $ mkdir aima
   /tmp
   $ cd aima
   /tmp/aima
   $ wget http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/lisp/code.tar.gz
   --08:16:42--  http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/lisp/code.tar.gz
   => `code.tar.gz'
   Resolving aima.cs.berkeley.edu... done.
   Connecting to aima.cs.berkeley.edu[169.229.60.94]:80... connected.
   Length: 199,882 [application/x-tar]

   100%[====================================>] 199,882      112.57K/s    ETA 00:00

   08:16:44 (112.57 KB/s) - `code.tar.gz' saved [199882/199882]

   /tmp/aima
   $ tar xzf code.tar.gz
   /tmp/aima
   $ vi aima.lisp
   # change *aima-root* to (defparameter *aima-root* (truename "/tmp/aima/"))
   # note the trailing slash
   /tmp/aima
   $ clisp -q

   [1]> (load "aima.lisp")
   [2]>

--
eblood

From: Eduardo Muñoz
* Lowell <······@cs.ubc.ca>
| I am having trouble loading the code from the Russell/Norvig book into
| Clisp. When I type (load "aima.lisp") at the top level, I get the
| following error:
|
| [2]> (load "aima.lisp")
| *** - STRING-EQUAL: argument #P".lisp" should be a string, a symbol or a
| character

Are you using Emacs+ILISP? I remember that there was a
similar problem using CLISP with ILISP. Try to use
inferior-lisp instead of ILISP, and if the problem goes away
grep the sourceforge mailing list about ILISP.

--
Eduardo Munoz          | (prog () 10 (print "Hello world!")
http://213.97.131.125/ |          20 (go 10))

From: Lowell
Eduardo Munoz wrote:

> * Lowell <······@cs.ubc.ca>
> | I am having trouble loading the code from the Russell/Norvig book into
> | Clisp. When I type (load "aima.lisp") at the top level, I get the
> | following error:
> |
> | [2]> (load "aima.lisp")
> | *** - STRING-EQUAL: argument #P".lisp" should be a string, a symbol or a
> | character
>
> Are you using Emacs+ILISP? I remember that there was a
> similar problem using CLISP with ILISP. Try to use
> inferior-lisp instead of ILISP, and if the problem goes away
> grep the sourceforge mailing list about ILISP.

Thanks, you're on the right track. When I load Clisp from the command
prompt, it seems to work fine. There are only problems when I run it
through emacs. But I'm still stuck...
I am a CL newbie and don't know how to use inferior-lisp instead of
ilisp. I've been using the .emacs that I found on the common lisp
cookbook and am not sure how the configuration works.
I have 2 main questions: a) how do I change to inferior lisp and b) how
do I grep a mailing list?

From: Eduardo Muñoz
* Lowell <······@cs.ubc.ca>
| Thanks, you're on the right track. When I load Clisp from the command
| prompt, it seems to work fine. There are only problems when I run it
| through emacs. But I'm still stuck...

The easiest way (I think) is to edit the file
cl-chs-init.lisp within the ilisp directory and delete these
two lines (near the bottom of the file):

  (when (boundp 'system::*source-file-types*)
    (pushnew (pathname ".lisp") system::*source-file-types* :test #'equalp))

Delete any .fas file in the ilisp directory and restart ilisp.

From: Lowell
Eduardo, you are my saviour!! I have no idea what I did, but I followed
your instructions and it works!!

Lowell