From: Heng Xu
Subject: Emacs's lisp capacity
Hi, all,

I am a newbie to lisp and I am using Emacs most of the time. I heard
from people that emacs's lisp capacity is really limited. I want to use
emacs to continue learning lisp though. Is there a way out? Thanks a
ton!:-))

Sam

From: Matt Curtin
Subject: Re: Emacs's lisp capacity
Heng Xu <······@iastate.edu> writes:

> I want to use emacs to continue learning lisp though. Is there a way
> out?

Emacs Lisp is powerful enough to write some amazing applications.
Gnus is probably the best example.  There are drawbacks, however, by
comparison to what you'll see from free Common Lisp implementations
like CMUCL, SBCL, and CLISP, and especially commercial implementations
like Allegro CL and LispWorks.

If what you're doing makes sense to do inside of an Emacs environment,
by all means, feel free to write it in Emacs Lisp.  But if you're
writing a standalone application -- where Emacs isn't really giving
you anything but a Lisp to build your application on top of, you might
want to consider whether it would make more sense to use another Lisp.

--
Matt Curtin, CISSP, IAM, INTP.  Keywords: Lisp, Unix, Internet, INFOSEC.
Founder, Interhack Corporation +1 614 545 HACK http://web.interhack.com/
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Heng Xu <······@iastate.edu> writes:

> Is there a way out?

if you close your mind around emacs there is no way out.
if you open your mind to emacs there is no need to go out.
if you sit with emacs all others will stay outside.
if you dance with emacs only the stubb{ed,orn} toe sticks out.
if you hold emacs close you weep for those without.
if you keep emacs far, in chasing, you will find out.

thi
From: Barry Margolin
In article <············@news.iastate.edu>,
Heng Xu  <······@iastate.edu> wrote:
>I am a newbie to lisp and I am using Emacs most of the time. I heard
>from people that emacs's lisp capacity is really limited. I want to use
>emacs to continue learning lisp though. Is there a way out? Thanks a
>ton!:-))

Emacs Lisp is quite functional -- people have written very powerful
applications in it, such as mail/news readers and web browsers.  It doesn't
have all the features that Common Lisp does, and it's incompatible with
Common Lisp in several ways (it uses dynamic scope instead of static scope)
but it has lots of stuff for text and file manipulation that Common Lisp
doesn't have built in.  It's a perfectly usable dialect of Lisp, though.

--
Barry Margolin, ··············@level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA