From: synthespian
Subject: CLISP and readline
Hello --

  CLISP uses GNU readline, right?
  So, theoretically, I can move my cursor in all the crazy ways that you
can in Emacs, right?
  But I can't, not on MS Windows...
  Am I making wrong assumptions here? Is it a bug? (Also, I /know/ ILISP
+ Emacs is better, I just want to know about the readline and clisp).

  TIA

  Henry
From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: CLISP and readline
synthespian <···········@uol.com.br> writes:

> Hello --
>
>   CLISP uses GNU readline, right?
>   So, theoretically, I can move my cursor in all the crazy ways that
>   you can in Emacs, right?
>   But I can't, not on MS Windows...
>   Am I making wrong assumptions here? Is it a bug? (Also, I /know/
>   ILISP + Emacs is better, I just want to know about the readline and
>   clisp).

CLISP _may be compiled with GNU Readline_.

That doesn't mean that it _must_ be.

On Windows, it seems that it typically is NOT linked to readline,
certainly in part because that's not a library that is normally
around, and probably (wild guess) also because readline needs ncurses,
which has got to be painful to work with on Windows...  The latter is
probably the challenge...
--
let name="aa454" and tld="freenet.carleton.ca" in name ^ ·@" ^ tld;;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lisp.html