From: Alfred Fazio
Subject: SBCL core dumps?
I've been searching for a form similar to CMUCL's (save-lisp) in SBCL.
 Is there such a thing?  Only documentation I can find is at the
bottom of http://sbcl-internals.cliki.net/Compiler which is not
helpful.

Thanks.

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: SBCL core dumps?
······@gmx.net (Alfred Fazio) writes:

> I've been searching for a form similar to CMUCL's (save-lisp) in
> SBCL.  Is there such a thing?  Only documentation I can find is at
> the bottom of http://sbcl-internals.cliki.net/Compiler which is not
> helpful.

  ···@bird:~ > sbcl
  This is SBCL 0.8.1, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.

  SBCL is derived from the CMU CL system created at Carnegie Mellon University.
  Besides software and documentation originally created at Carnegie Mellon
  University, SBCL contains some software originally from the Massachusetts
  Institute of Technology, Symbolics Incorporated, and Xerox Corporation, and
  material contributed by volunteers since the release of CMU CL into the
  public domain. See the CREDITS file in the distribution for more information.

  SBCL is a free software system, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
  It is mostly in the public domain, but also includes some software copyrighted
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1986;
    Symbolics, Inc., 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992; and
    Xerox Corporation, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990
  used under BSD-style licenses allowing copying only under certain conditions.
  See the COPYING file in the distribution for more information.

  More information about SBCL is available at <http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/>.
  * (apropos "save-lisp")

  SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE (fbound)
  * (documentation 'save-lisp-and-die 'function)

  "Save a \"core image\", i.e. enough information to restart a Lisp
    process later in the same state, in the file of the specified name.

    This implementation is not as polished and painless as you might like:
      * It corrupts the current Lisp image enough that the current process
        needs to be killed afterwards.
      * There is absolutely no binary compatibility of core images between
        different runtime support programs. Even runtimes built from the same
        sources at different times are treated as incompatible for this purpose.
    This isn't because we like it this way, but just because there don't
    seem to be good quick fixes for either limitation and no one has been
    sufficiently motivated to do lengthy fixes.

    The following &KEY arguments are defined:
      :TOPLEVEL
         The function to run when the created core file is resumed.
         The default function handles command line toplevel option
         processing and runs the top level read-eval-print loop. This
         function should not return.
      :PURIFY
         If true (the default), do a purifying GC which moves all dynamically
         allocated objects into static space so that they stay pure. This takes
         somewhat longer than the normal GC which is otherwise done, but it's
         only done once, and subsequent GC's will be done less often and will
         take less time in the resulting core file. See the PURIFY function.
      :ROOT-STRUCTURES
         This should be a list of the main entry points in any newly loaded
         systems. This need not be supplied, but locality and/or GC performance
         may be better if they are. Meaningless if :PURIFY is NIL. See the
         PURIFY function.
      :ENVIRONMENT-NAME
         This is also passed to the PURIFY function when :PURIFY is T.
         (rarely used)

    The save/load process changes the values of some global variables:
      *STANDARD-OUTPUT*, *DEBUG-IO*, etc.
        Everything related to open streams is necessarily changed, since
        the OS won't let us preserve a stream across save and load.
      *DEFAULT-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*
        This is reinitialized to reflect the working directory where the
        saved core is loaded."
From: Alfred Fazio
From: Daniel Barlow
······@gmx.net (Alfred Fazio) writes:

> I've been searching for a form similar to CMUCL's (save-lisp) in SBCL.
>  Is there such a thing?  Only documentation I can find is at the
> bottom of http://sbcl-internals.cliki.net/Compiler which is not
> helpful.

From the manual page, which should have been installed on your
computer along with SBCL.

       Some of the retained extensions have new names and/or different options
       than  their  CMU  CL counterparts. For example, the SBCL function which
       saves a Lisp image to disk and kills  the  running  process  is  called
       SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE  instead  of  SAVE-LISP, and SBCL's SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
       supports fewer keyword options than CMU CL's SAVE-LISP does.

-dan

--

   http://www.cliki.net/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources
From: Christophe Rhodes
······@gmx.net (Alfred Fazio) writes:

> I've been searching for a form similar to CMUCL's (save-lisp) in SBCL.
>  Is there such a thing?  Only documentation I can find is at the
> bottom of http://sbcl-internals.cliki.net/Compiler which is not
> helpful.

sbcl-internals is, well, um, internals information for sbcl.  Dan and
Edi have pointed you to SBCL's introspective documentation and the
Unix manual page sbcl(1); I want also to highlight the fact that sbcl
comes with a mostly vaguely complete, if brief, User manual, wherein
SB-EXT:SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE is mentioned as an extension to the ANSI
standard that people might find useful.

Christophe