From: Kevin Rosenberg
Subject: [Announce] cl-modlisp released
I've released cl-modlisp, a Common Lisp interface to Marc Battyani's
very useful mod_lisp Apache module. Features include:

  * support of AllegroCL, CMUCL, SBCL with sb-thread, and Lispworks.
  * listener and worker socket/process management so that shutting
    down the listener closes all related open sockets and terminates
    all related proceses.
  * Excellent support for running multiple command processors on
    multiple ports
  * transparent support for precomputing the HTML or XML response
    to take advantage of HTTP/1.1's Keep-Alive feature. This is
    switchable with a single keyword argument to the enclosing macro.
  * Demonstration processor included

cl-modlisp is free software governed by the liberal BSD license and
can downloaded from http://files.b9.com/cl-modlisp

--
       Kevin Rosenberg        |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
  http://b9.com/debian.html   | : :' :      The  universal

From: c hore
Subject: Re: [Announce] cl-modlisp released
Kevin Rosenberg wrote ...
> I've released cl-modlisp, a Common Lisp interface to Marc Battyani's
> very useful mod_lisp Apache module. Features include:

I'm sure there's a good reason for "cl-modlisp", but not knowing
much [yet] about this area, I just had to do a double take on this.

I thought mod_lisp /is/ the interface between Apache and Lisp
(presumably Common Lisp nowadays).  Now, it seems---and I am
surprised to find out that---we need a "Common Lisp interface"
to the Common Lisp interface to Apache.

No wonder newbies can sometimes be bewildered and at a loss
nowadays as to how to get started using Lisp in real world
(e.g., web and database interfaces) these days.
Someday hopefully there could be realized, either in packaging
or in book or online documentation form, a "Lisp with all
the batteries included" to really lower the barrier.
From: Matthew Danish
On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 09:58:24PM -0700, c hore wrote:
> Kevin Rosenberg wrote ...
> > I've released cl-modlisp, a Common Lisp interface to Marc Battyani's
> > very useful mod_lisp Apache module. Features include:
>
> I'm sure there's a good reason for "cl-modlisp", but not knowing
> much [yet] about this area, I just had to do a double take on this.
>
> I thought mod_lisp /is/ the interface between Apache and Lisp
> (presumably Common Lisp nowadays).  Now, it seems---and I am
> surprised to find out that---we need a "Common Lisp interface"
> to the Common Lisp interface to Apache.
>
> No wonder newbies can sometimes be bewildered and at a loss
> nowadays as to how to get started using Lisp in real world
> (e.g., web and database interfaces) these days.
> Someday hopefully there could be realized, either in packaging
> or in book or online documentation form, a "Lisp with all
> the batteries included" to really lower the barrier.

I'm not sure why you are confused.  There are two sides to every
client/server network protocol, obviously.  I assure you, no Common Lisp
implementation knows how to talk to mod_lisp just by magic.  In the
past, one would copy example code or follow the (simple) protocol
description.  Now there is a handy package.

There is no such thing as /the/ interface between Apache and Common Lisp
anyway.  Sounds like a rather limiting concept, if it could even exist.
There are as many interfaces as you care to create.

P.S.

I did a double-take too, because I package libapache-mod-lisp, and I
thought for a moment that this might have duplicated functionality.
Silly me.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Kevin Rosenberg
In article <····························@posting.google.com>, c hore wrote:
> I thought mod_lisp /is/ the interface between Apache and Lisp
> (presumably Common Lisp nowadays).  Now, it seems---and I am
> surprised to find out that---we need a "Common Lisp interface"
> to the Common Lisp interface to Apache.

mod_lisp is half of the interface. It's a module that gets installed
in Apache that has a simple protocol to talk to a page server. The
protocol is actually language agnostic. The mod_lisp web site has a
few basic examples of the Lisp server. You can consider cl-modlisp a
robust extension of those examples.

> No wonder newbies can sometimes be bewildered and at a loss
> nowadays as to how to get started using Lisp in real world
> (e.g., web and database interfaces) these days.
> Someday hopefully there could be realized, either in packaging
> or in book or online documentation form, a "Lisp with all
> the batteries included" to really lower the barrier.

To get "all the batteries included", I bought AllegroCL and later
Lispworks when I first started using Lisp. If you prefer to not
purchase commercial software, you may be interested in the cirCLe
project (http://www.cliki.net/circle) which has a long-term goal of
distributing a Lisp system with such full-functionality.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net
From: Larry Clapp
In article <····················@tiger.med-info.com>, Kevin Rosenberg
wrote:
> I've released cl-modlisp, a Common Lisp interface to Marc Battyani's
> very useful mod_lisp Apache module. Features include:
>
>   * support of AllegroCL, CMUCL, SBCL with sb-thread, and Lispworks.
>   * listener and worker socket/process management so that shutting
>     down the listener closes all related open sockets and terminates
>     all related proceses.
>   * Excellent support for running multiple command processors on
>     multiple ports
>   * transparent support for precomputing the HTML or XML response
>     to take advantage of HTTP/1.1's Keep-Alive feature. This is
>     switchable with a single keyword argument to the enclosing macro.
>   * Demonstration processor included
>
> cl-modlisp is free software governed by the liberal BSD license and
> can downloaded from http://files.b9.com/cl-modlisp

For all you Debian/woody (aka stable) users out there (like me), be
aware the cl-modlisp package is in unstable (not even testing ("yet",
presumably)).  For a document on the "pinning" functionality you
may've heard about, where you can install packages from testing or
unstable without fully upgrading to either, try this:
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html.  Proceed Carefully.

--
Larry Clapp / ·····@theclapp.org
Use Lisp from Vim: VILisp: http://vim.sourceforge.net/script.php?script_id=221

> I've released cl-modlisp, a Common Lisp interface to Marc Battyani's
> very useful mod_lisp Apache module. Features include:
>
>   * support of AllegroCL, CMUCL, SBCL with sb-thread, and Lispworks.
>   * listener and worker socket/process management so that shutting
>     down the listener closes all related open sockets and terminates
>     all related proceses.
>   * Excellent support for running multiple command processors on
>     multiple ports
>   * transparent support for precomputing the HTML or XML response
>     to take advantage of HTTP/1.1's Keep-Alive feature. This is
>     switchable with a single keyword argument to the enclosing macro.
>   * Demonstration processor included

Excellent! A good, easy to install cross platform example was really missing.
BTW in the doc you should tell that on addition of this, people need an HTML
generation macro such as lml2, htout, html-gen...

> cl-modlisp is free software governed by the liberal BSD license and
> can downloaded from http://files.b9.com/cl-modlisp

Marc
From: Kevin Rosenberg
In article <··········@library2.airnews.net>, Marc Battyani wrote:
> Excellent! A good, easy to install cross platform example was really
> missing.

It's been helpful for me as well having created the general purpose
listener that cl-modlisp employs. I also use that listener for a REPL
server that is in the kmrcl package.

I also recently added optional timeouts which can be useful in a html
page server but less useful in a REPL server.

> BTW in the doc you should tell that on addition of this, people need an HTML
> generation macro such as lml2, htout, html-gen...

Thanks -- that's a good idea. It'll be in the next release.

--
Kevin Rosenberg
·····@rosenberg.net