From: Luke J Crook
Subject: LGPL'ing FFI definitions ?
I'm thinking of LGPL'ing the SDL bindings that I have made for Corman Lisp.
However I believe that the LGPL allows dynamically linking to a library.
However FFI bindings are similar to C header files in that they are included
directly into the Lisp application/image itself.

My intent is that a developer is free to use the bindings in any
application - commercial or non-commercial - without having to release the
source code, being only required to release any direct modifications to the
SDL FFI bindings.

Is there an existing license that covers this ?

-Luke

From: Matthew Danish
Subject: Re: LGPL'ing FFI definitions ?
On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 06:54:24PM +0000, Luke J Crook wrote:
> I'm thinking of LGPL'ing the SDL bindings that I have made for Corman Lisp.
> However I believe that the LGPL allows dynamically linking to a library.
> However FFI bindings are similar to C header files in that they are included
> directly into the Lisp application/image itself.
>
> My intent is that a developer is free to use the bindings in any
> application - commercial or non-commercial - without having to release the
> source code, being only required to release any direct modifications to the
> SDL FFI bindings.
>
> Is there an existing license that covers this ?

We had the same questions looking for a suitable license for CL-SDL.  I
emailed Sam, author of libSDL, and he was perfectly fine with us using
an MIT/X-style license.  There is also the Lisp LGPL as used by Franz, but
I prefer MIT/X-style.

--
; Matthew Danish <·······@andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.
From: Kaz Kylheku
"Luke J Crook" <····@NO-SPAM.balooga.com> wrote in message news:<······················@twister.socal.rr.com>...
> I'm thinking of LGPL'ing the SDL bindings that I have made for Corman Lisp.
> However I believe that the LGPL allows dynamically linking to a library.
> However FFI bindings are similar to C header files in that they are included
> directly into the Lisp application/image itself.
>
> My intent is that a developer is free to use the bindings in any
> application - commercial or non-commercial - without having to release the
> source code, being only required to release any direct modifications to the
> SDL FFI bindings.
>
> Is there an existing license that covers this ?

Contribute your bindings to the SDL project. Then they are covered
that way. If a proprietary application developer modifies SDL, he will
have to redistribute the source along with the proprietary
application.

If that application is not written in Corman Lisp, then the developer
will probably not update the Corman Lisp bindings, only the C headers.
Users who want to write their own Corman Lisp applications based on
that developer's modified SDL will have to develop their own bindings,
or get your original bindigns and upgrade them to match the new
interface.

If the proprietary application is written in Corman Lisp, and the
vendor uses the contributed Corman Lisp bindings that came with SDL,
they will have to be re-distributed in source form, just like the
changes to the C headers. Users who want to write their own Corman
Lisp apps based on this modified library are then in luck; they have
the bindings.
From: Norman Werner
"Luke J Crook" <····@NO-SPAM.balooga.com> writes:

> I'm thinking of LGPL'ing the SDL bindings that I have made for Corman Lisp.
> However I believe that the LGPL allows dynamically linking to a library.
> However FFI bindings are similar to C header files in that they are included
> directly into the Lisp application/image itself.
>
> My intent is that a developer is free to use the bindings in any
> application - commercial or non-commercial - without having to release the
> source code, being only required to release any direct modifications to the
> SDL FFI bindings.
>
> Is there an existing license that covers this ?
>
> -Luke

I think LGPL will do fine.
But you should actually _read_ LGPL before releasing anything under
it. If you like so you could also explicitly state something like:

AS AN EXCEPTION TO THIS LICENSE YOU MAY
.... .... And .... Without ....

Norman
--
One Language to rule them all, One Language to find them, One Language
to bring them all and in the darkness bind them in the Land of Mordor

Norman Werner (Zi. 307)
J. G. Nathusius Ring 7 (WH6)
39106 Magdeburg
·············@student.uni-magdeburg.de
From: Marco Baringer
"Luke J Crook" <····@NO-SPAM.balooga.com> writes:

> I'm thinking of LGPL'ing the SDL bindings that I have made for Corman Lisp.
> However I believe that the LGPL allows dynamically linking to a library.
> However FFI bindings are similar to C header files in that they are included
> directly into the Lisp application/image itself.
>
> My intent is that a developer is free to use the bindings in any
> application - commercial or non-commercial - without having to release the
> source code, being only required to release any direct modifications to the
> SDL FFI bindings.
>
> Is there an existing license that covers this ?
>
> -Luke

franz has thought about this. try the Lisp Lesser GNU Public License.

http://opensource.franz.com/preamble.html

--
Marco Baringer

Baringer Electronics and Software Engineering
www.bese.it