From: Vladimir Zolotykh
Subject: Lisp-SNMP
Hi

Has anyone heard anent some SNMP related stuff written on CL? I've
tried Lisp-SNMP. Without detailed knowledge of the subject it's
difficult to understand and then fix why it doesn't work. I've
eliminated most obvious discrepancies like the following:

  - ipc package in ACL now doesn't contain ipc::hostent-length,
    ipc::hostent-length, etc.

  - Symbol cases incompatibilities

It uses a lot of undocumented or deprecated functions, also
low-leveled and dangerous ones like sys:memref-int. It crashed at
first, 'cos memref-int, memset or something else corrupted the data
and GC unrecoverable error occurred. Now after some corrections it
doesn't crash anymore but produces strange results, like

   snmp(38): (snmp-get-tree "localhost" '([system]))
   .....[snip].......
   cons
   fixnum
   (simple-array character (6))
   typed-asn-tuple
   fixnum
   fixnum
   fixnum
   cons
   cons
   symbol
   ........[snip]........
   Error: Cannot BER-encode [system] yet

Using snmpd (NET-SNMP version: 5.0.8) as a simple snmp agent.

Before diving deeply in the water I'd like to know may be similar
products already exist somewhere. Do you know?

Thanks in advance

--
Vladimir Zolotykh

From: Andreas Fuchs
Subject: Re: Lisp-SNMP
Today, Vladimir Zolotykh <······@eurocom.od.ua> wrote:
> Has anyone heard anent some SNMP related stuff written on CL? I've
> tried Lisp-SNMP.

I have, too. In fact, when I asked Simon Leinen, he sent me code to the
other snmp implementation he's been working on (which can handle
snmpv3 and is generally more modern, i.e.  it works in a recent ACL
trial).

I've been working on a port to SBCL, but got sidetracked by some other
random things (memory and hard disk corruption, mostly; and then there
is this sbcl/threaded/freebsd thing...)

He agreed that when I get my dedicated server online, he'd publish it
there. Seeing that this has not happened yet, and Erik Enge's lisp web
hosting is now online, i guess we should consider other alternatives (-:

Anyway, I'll ask Simon about the license to the code and send it to you
if it's all right; we can worry about publishing later.

> Before diving deeply in the water I'd like to know may be similar
> products already exist somewhere. Do you know?

I'd recommend going with the newer code, as it is more designed (-;

The lisp-snmp (SYSMAN) code has some features that the newer code
doesn't, though; e.g. it doesn't parse compiled-mib files (yet - anyone
want to write this? An asn.1 parser would be cool, too (-;)

Good to know that there are more people out there wanting to hack on
snmp and lisp. Happy hacking,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <···@void.at>, ···@jabber.at, antifuchs
From: Marc Spitzer
Andreas Fuchs <···@void.at> writes:

> Good to know that there are more people out there wanting to hack on
> snmp and lisp. Happy hacking,

And I am one of them.  Please keep the information coming

marc

From: Vladimir Zolotykh
Andreas Fuchs wrote:

> Anyway, I'll ask Simon about the license to the code and send it to you
> if it's all right; we can worry about publishing later.

Thank you, it would be very kind of you. Please keep me informed
on the matter if  I'm not asking to much. I look forward to hearing
from you soon.

--
Vladimir Zolotykh