From: Erann Gat
Subject: (= (+ (- Lisp s-expressions) XML-syntax) Water)
Those of you who have been wanting to use Lisp but just can't deal with
all those parentheses, your salvation has arrived:

  http://www.waterlang.org/

The power of Lisp with the syntactic elegance of XML!  Who would have thought?

Be sure to check out the lovely code snippets in the quick reference guide:

  http://www.waterlang.org/quick_reference_guide.html

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go beat my head against a
wall until the pain stops.

E.

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: Re: (= (+ (- Lisp s-expressions) XML-syntax) Water)
···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:

> The power of Lisp with the syntactic elegance of XML!  Who would
> have thought?

I remember seeing this last year and concluding that it must be a
joke. But now it looks like they're not joking, and that's so sad that
it's funny.

Why would anyone think this is a good idea? How does the XML-like
syntax add anything other than baseless comfort through superficial
association? They plead their case in "Water Rationale"� and, as they
say there, "It is a MESS."

What about the Web requires a special programming language? Isn't that
part of the idea behind the Web, that isolating host and
implementation language details behind a least common denominator
transport and notation frees us from caring about something like this?

That XML -- a serialization syntax -- should shape a programming
language source syntax and data model just seems backwards. What a
waste. At least they got to write a book about it. I would have
recommended hiding instead.

Footnotes:
� http://www.waterlang.org/doc/water_rationale.htm

--
Steven E. Harris        :: ········@raytheon.com
Raytheon                :: http://www.raytheon.com
From: William H. Maddox III
Erann Gat wrote:
> Those of you who have been wanting to use Lisp but just can't deal with
> all those parentheses, your salvation has arrived:
>
>   http://www.waterlang.org/
>
> The power of Lisp with the syntactic elegance of XML!  Who would have thought?
>
> Be sure to check out the lovely code snippets in the quick reference guide:
>
>   http://www.waterlang.org/quick_reference_guide.html
>
> Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go beat my head against a
> wall until the pain stops.
>
> E.

For a different and IMHO much cleaner take on a similar idea, have a look at
MetaHTML (www.metahtml.org).  The unification of XML-like and LISP-like syntax
need not be so forced and ugly.

--Bill

maddox AT transmeta DOT COM
From: Alan Shutko
···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:

> The power of Lisp with the syntactic elegance of XML!  Who would
> have thought?

It's next-gen COBOL!

--
Alan Shutko <···@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
"Come up to us and we will show you a thing." -- 1 Samuel 14:12
From: Thomas Lindgren
Alan Shutko <···@acm.org> writes:

> ···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:
>
> > The power of Lisp with the syntactic elegance of XML!  Who would
> > have thought?
>
> It's next-gen COBOL!

Java is the next-gen COBOL.

Best,
                        Thomas
--
Thomas Lindgren
"It's becoming popular? It must be in decline." -- Isaiah Berlin

From: Joe Marshall
···@jpl.nasa.gov (Erann Gat) writes:

> Those of you who have been wanting to use Lisp but just can't deal with
> all those parentheses, your salvation has arrived:
>
>   http://www.waterlang.org/
>
> The power of Lisp with the syntactic elegance of XML!  Who would have thought?

Christopher Fry should be ashamed of himself.