From: TomFC
Subject: Total beginner
I've worked in PostSript, C, C++, Java and a little bit of Perl and Tcl.

I'm just getting started with Lisp.

wow. What a paradigm shift.

I'm learning it because I am using bOP (http://www.bivio.biz/) and the basic
philosophy of that infrastructure, although written in Perl, is quite
Lisp-ish.

From: Henrik Motakef
Subject: Re: Total beginner
TomFC <···@zFC.com> writes:

> I've worked in PostSript, C, C++, Java and a little bit of Perl and Tcl.
> I'm just getting started with Lisp.
> wow. What a paradigm shift.

Welcome. Be prepared for a long period of learning cool new things :-)

> I'm learning it because I am using bOP (http://www.bivio.biz/) and the basic
> philosophy of that infrastructure, although written in Perl, is quite
> Lisp-ish.

Really? In what way? I never heard of it before, and they don't seem
to mention any relation on their side. Web application frameworks are
something I frequently need for various kinds of environments, and
"Lisp-ish" surely sounds good.

However, I guess you posted here for a reason. Scince you didn't
mention it, I will invent one, namely that you are looking for general
information on lisp ;-)

First of all, you should know about these web sites:

<http://www.lispworks.com/reference/HyperSpec>:
  Contains the complete ANSI Common Lisp standard (i.e. a reference of
  all standard functions etc.) in a heavily hyperlinked, highly
  browsable format. You can also download it for personaly use, and
  with the ILisp Emacs-Mode (which is a good choice if you are still
  looking for an editor that takes care of all those parens) you can
  look up any symbol in it with two key-strokes.

<http://www.lisp.org>
  The homepage of the Association of Lisp Users. Contains lots of
  links, for example to tutorials.

<http://www.cliki.net>
  A WikiWikiWeb for Common Lisp stuff with a bias for Free
  Software. Lots of useful information.

Scince you seem to like bOP, and they seem to be like XP a lot, you
might be interested in UnitTest frameworks for CL. I prefer XPTEST
<http://alpha.onshored.com/lisp-software/#xptest>, there is also
CLUnit at <http://www.ancar.org/CLUnit/docs/CLUnit.html> and some
others I didn't use yet.

Of course, you don't need perl to get a lispish webapp framework, you
can also use Lisp... For example with IMHO
<http://alpha.onshored.com/lisp-software/#imho>, AllegroServe
(<http://opensource.franz.com/aserve/index.html>, portable version
that doesn't require Franz Allegro Common Lisp at
<http://portableaserve.sf.net>) or Araneida
<http://araneida.telent.net/>. See the Web section of Cliki for more
(for example the Lispweb mailing list).

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Henrik
From: TomFC
Henrik Motakef wrote:

> TomFC <···@zFC.com> writes:
>
>> I've worked in PostSript, C, C++, Java and a little bit of Perl and Tcl.
>> I'm just getting started with Lisp.
>> wow. What a paradigm shift.
>
> Welcome. Be prepared for a long period of learning cool new things :-)

=:c)

That's what I gather.

> Really? In what way? I never heard of it before, and they don't seem
> to mention any relation on their side. Web application frameworks are
> something I frequently need for various kinds of environments, and
> "Lisp-ish" surely sounds good.

Yeah. Follow the links there on 'Why bOP?" and download the source.

> However, I guess you posted here for a reason. Scince you didn't
> mention it, I will invent one, namely that you are looking for general
> information on lisp ;-)

More information is always good. I think I was posting just to say "wow" :c)

> First of all, you should know about these web sites:

Thank you very much. Especially that first link. I use emacs, so that'll be
good.

> Scince you seem to like bOP, and they seem to be like XP a lot, you
> might be interested in UnitTest frameworks for CL. I prefer XPTEST
> <http://alpha.onshored.com/lisp-software/#xptest>, there is also
> CLUnit at <http://www.ancar.org/CLUnit/docs/CLUnit.html> and some
> others I didn't use yet.
>
> Of course, you don't need perl to get a lispish webapp framework, you
> can also use Lisp...

Yes. And the authors of bOP have often talked about whether or not doing it
in perl was the right thing. They've considered re-doing it in lisp or
python.